Quantcast
Adventures in handle and saya contruction by hand - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42

Thread: Adventures in handle and saya contruction by hand

  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Weehawken, nj
    Posts
    198
    Need to add a chisel to my tool list and make a friend with a drill press to fit the tang in, I would cry if I tried drilling by hand and ****** it up....

    Sooo who in nyc has a drill press

  2. #32
    Looking at your pictures, there are two parts to your handle. Are they halves? I am in Westchester.


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Weehawken, nj
    Posts
    198
    Those are just two different handles... Each handle is one piece of wood. I'm sure you would be disgusted at my amateur wood working skills if you saw them; but this is a project I've been wanting to do by myself for awhile... Do you do your woodwork full time?

    I am going to have to stabilize my saya blanks before chiseling, this spalted maple is too ******* delicate... I have two of the handles stabilizing right now before I fit the end cap and bolster and finish by hand sanding. It's really nice to be able to shape the handle and feel it in my hand as I go. The main reason I wanted to do this myself; make myself and the knife one. Thanks for all of your help so far guys!

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by AnxiousCowboy View Post
    Those are just two different handles... Each handle is one piece of wood. I'm sure you would be disgusted at my amateur wood working skills if you saw them; but this is a project I've been wanting to do by myself for awhile... Do you do your woodwork full time?

    I am going to have to stabilize my saya blanks before chiseling, this spalted maple is too ******* delicate... I have two of the handles stabilizing right now before I fit the end cap and bolster and finish by hand sanding. It's really nice to be able to shape the handle and feel it in my hand as I go. The main reason I wanted to do this myself; make myself and the knife one. Thanks for all of your help so far guys!
    I don't do this full time, but I rent a space for a working shop as well as a metalworking shop. I live in an apartment, so this is the only way for me to be able to work with metal and wood.

    Have you considered splitting the handles and mill out the tang hole rather than drill in? If done properly, you won't see the glue line. Drilling in for that long tang can be very tricky at best, particularly in woods that are brittle by nature.


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Weehawken, nj
    Posts
    198
    Haven't considered it... What would you use, a scroll saw? Right now I only have a ryoba and I would not trust myself cutting a perfectly straight line by hand.

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by AnxiousCowboy View Post
    Haven't considered it... What would you use, a scroll saw? Right now I only have a ryoba and I would not trust myself cutting a perfectly straight line by hand.
    I use a band saw. Ideally I would split a rectangular block, mill/rout out a recess, fine sand it and to glue it together before giving it a handle shape. in that is not an option, I can resaw the contoured block and do the tang hole too. it's just going to be a little more work.

    M


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

  7. #37
    The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    1,872
    Nice thread Anxious, can't wait to see the final product. I've been wanting to make myself a handle for awhile now, what do you absolutely need to make one?

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Tom, why would you need such a big belt sander? 6x48 is perfectly adequate for all I do. That big sander if probably less flat on sanding surface than mine. I have 6x48" Shopsmith. Fantastic sander. I also have 11" Shopsmith bandsaw. Fantastic too.


    M
    I have a Shopsmith from the mid 1950's that was my grandfathers. Kinda a multipurpose lathe, disc sander, drill press type of deal. Still works great.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

  9. #39
    Senior Member rockbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Longhorn Country
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Tom, why would you need such a big belt sander? 6x48 is perfectly adequate for all I do. That big sander if probably less flat on sanding surface than mine. I have 6x48" Shopsmith. Fantastic sander. I also have 11" Shopsmith bandsaw. Fantastic too.


    M
    Because its a power tool and I love them. LOL.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

  10. #40
    Senior Member

    SpikeC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    3,773
    My ShopSmith is a 1963 10 year anniversary model. Rebuilt with new quill and bearings, a very handy unit! I'm using the belt sander to grind my knives, and other accessories for other odds and ends. The horizontal boring setup works well for drilling into handle blanks, too!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •