Quantcast
Tojiro DP - grind issue - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tojiro DP - grind issue

Looks quite messy. I guess the grinder has overcompensated too fat a cladding, but you should measure the thickness with a micrometer to be sure. You weren't looking for a project knife, weren't you? In that case a soft stainless clad is you worse enemy, will clog your stones and sandpaper. Work for a belt grinder, with an uncertain issue.

Knife looks awful, but the pictures are nice!

Good luck resolving the situation...

What Johnny said. Send it back. I recently sharpened up three DPs for a customer and the only one that had no issues was the petty. I fixed the profile on the parer, evened the grind on the tip of the gyuto...just crap workmanship compared to what they used to be (according to it others' memories). Once the grind issues were fixed, the knives were solid. BUT, I'd just return yours and contact Jon or Maxim.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I've seen loads of these and most had issues but none quite this bad. The fix, for me, is to grind a wide bevel that evens it all out. That's not such a big deal with a belt and motor though - doing that that on stones could suck. The question I have is will this particular knife be OK even after the grinding, I can't tell from here and if I was to guess I'd only give it 50/50 odds.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't had any issues with any of the Tojiros I've owned over the years. I never expected them to be absolutely perfect and knew I'd have to put a bit of work into them to get them sorted but I expect to do that with any blade. Even by my generous standards, that one is IMHO, one to be returned. It should have never left the factory like that. If you put anything under a microscope, you'll find issues, but the issues with this knife don't require a microscope, let alone a magnifying glass. Send it back or be prepared to do a little remodel work. The upside to taking the remodeling route is that you'll get some good practice and probably learn a few things in the process and the price of a Tojiro honesuki isn't exactly staggering so it's not a blade I'd worry too much about mucking up. That's why I've always liked the Tojiro honesuki. It's cheap, tough, and simply gets the job done.

If you have a person coming to you from California soon, I don't see where you have any reason to not get something from Jon. When opportunity pounds on your head, open it!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I'd send it back with a print out of the pictures with a description next to each fault.
    The handle gaps filled with gloop are pretty standard, the wonky grind looks like someone sneezed when they were working on it.
    When I'm next in the states I'm taking an empty suitcase with me, there are so many things that are like hens teeth in the uk

Quote Originally Posted by TB_London View Post
    I'd send it back with a print out of the pictures with a description next to each fault.
    The handle gaps filled with gloop are pretty standard, the wonky grind looks like someone sneezed when they were working on it.
    When I'm next in the states I'm taking an empty suitcase with me, there are so many things that are like hens teeth in the uk
    I'll get my shopping list ready

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

The overwhelming consensus seems to be to send it back - Dave Martell saying he would do it on a belt and even then only with 50/50 chance of success was perhaps the most damning comment.

With a heavy heart I have emailed them to ask how I go about a return. Hopefully they will make it very painless for me but I am guessing I will probably still have to cover the return postage, unless they are really on top of it. Will let you know how it goes.

I think I may delay the honesuki for a while - might think about getting a proper carbon sujihiki in the meantime...

R

There's a 240 Masamoto KS in BST if you're looking for a carbon suji

+ Reply to Thread