Quantcast
Feedback on Konosuke Funayuki/"New Shape"?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on Konosuke Funayuki/"New Shape"?

Feedback on Konosuke Funayuki/"New Shape"?

I'm looking at getting a Kono HD 270mm gyuto and am deciding between the original profile (currently sold out) and the funayuki ("new shape"). I've trolled the internet and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on the performance of the funayuki. Anyone have any feedback they could share? If you've tried both profiles, I'd be especially interested to hear what you have to say.

And before you ask, yes, I push cut.

Konosuke made a ri chmond ultimatum with HD steel. thats worth considering too.

A common observation is that the more rounded tip is better suited for rock cutting, and the funi/gyuto shape for push cutting -- but to me, the funi/gyuto can do both just fine. More importantly, it has a much more useful tip for finer work. I don't think there's any downside to the new profile, and quite a bit of upside.

Thanks for the replies so far. Please keep them coming.
    If anyone has the 270 would you be so kind as to let me know the blade length? It's not specified on the CKTG website but I note that the Richmond Ultimatum "270" (which seems to have a very similar profile) is actually 285mm, which is a bit long for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynyc View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. Please keep them coming.
    If anyone has the 270 would you be so kind as to let me know the blade length? It's not specified on the CKTG website but I note that the Richmond Ultimatum "270" (which seems to have a very similar profile) is actually 285mm, which is a bit long for me.
    Ask Mark or Sue about the lengthin an email. Their track record on replies is pretty good. I'm betting it's a bit shorter than 270 mm. The Ultimatum is patterned after the Masamoto KS, and that knife runs long.

Rick

I'd be interested to see of it's measured as a knife with a machi or not.

Oh, by the way, funy shapes are great if you like aggressive, nimble feeling knives (not that Konos ever feel anything but).
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

In my experience, Konosuke wa blades are typically shorter than their stated length. This is because they measure from the tip to the machi, not the heel of the blade.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    In my experience, Konosuke wa blades are typically shorter than their stated length. This is because they measure from the tip to the machi, not the heel of the blade.
    this is exactly what i've heard... on my western 270mm gyuto the length was 270mm on the spot!!!

The moderator at CKTG forums tells me the blade is 270.5mm from heel to spine. So much for it being shorter. Any more reports from anyone who's actually used this knife?

This isn't quite the data point you're looking for, but my 240 funayuki/gyuto is about 233mm along the edge, from heel to tip. I've heard repeatedly that the 270s run more true, but can't confirm myself.