Quantcast
WIP: from Trash to Treasure - Page 3
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP: from Trash to Treasure

Quote Originally Posted by Larrin View Post
    I knew I learned something in forging and forming.

It happened just like the diagram. I've had this happen before, always does it when there is a weak vertical weld near the middle. It can usually be prevented by arc welding the end before it is rolled.

Thanks son

Quote Originally Posted by Larrin View Post
    I knew I learned something in forging and forming.

Interesting pic, thanks!

purely out of curiosity...."Inhomogeneities?" why not "heterogeneities?"
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Interesting pic, thanks!

purely out of curiosity...."Inhomogeneities?" why not "heterogeneities?"
    Because they are not equally distributed.

-AJ

@Larrin, I don't quite understand the explanation. There's not much width growth while rolling. The strain seems to be because the center stays hotter longer and grows faster than the edges causing it to split like it did. In diagram (a) it shows the strain opposite from my experience.

Dad

Good to see you back at it Devin, go slow and have fun. Looking forward to this one as well!!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Most of my rolling is with non ferrous metals, butt I see quite a bit of width growth when rolling.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Most of my rolling is with non ferrous metals, butt I see quite a bit of width growth when rolling.
    Before I rolled it, it measured 4" x 7 1/2", after rolling it measured 4" x 9 1/2" not counting the split. There was no detectable growth in width as apposed to ~22% in length.

Hoss

Typically there is little increase in the width in rolling. Oftentimes it is zero. With thick pieces you can have spreading, however.

Quote Originally Posted by DevinT View Post
    @Larrin, I don't quite understand the explanation. There's not much width growth while rolling. The strain seems to be because the center stays hotter longer and grows faster than the edges causing it to split like it did. In diagram (a) it shows the strain opposite from my experience.

Dad
    The reason that the ends of the bar are round is because the center lengthens more than the edges. This is from more than the just the center staying hot, it's related to the "friction hill" that is mentioned in the section I posted. This difference creates the tension in the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Because they are not equally distributed.

-AJ
    I was hoping there would be an interesting answer...but I didn't understand it. inhomogeneity = evenly distributed differences and heterogeneity = non-evenly distributed differences?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.