Quantcast
WIP: from Trash to Treasure
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP: from Trash to Treasure

WIP: from Trash to Treasure

I have not done anything creative for months. I still do not have the okay from the doctor to work, and I have lots of work that I owe folks, however, I need to make something without obligation. I apologize to those that I owe things.

The project that I have in mind is this: make a knife from salvaged material that would be something of value and very cool. I know several makers that like being green and using stuff that can be recycled. I have a 5 foot ring of wrought iron weighing 200# that was salvaged from a piece of equipment that was used in an old mine near here. Before the days of mild steel, they made and used wrought iron. It is made by getting iron to a semi molten state and creating a large ball of sponge iron mixed with some silica slag. They would squeeze this down and forge weld it onto itself multiple times to remove some of the slag and impurities. The result was a stringy iron bar with about 2% silica. Because the iron is nearly pure, it does rust but does not become cancerous like mild steel. They used wrought iron for anything structural, pipe. wagon wheel rims, mining equipment etc. If you look around it can be found today.We'll forge this out for the cladding on a sanmai blade.

The core material (pictured on top of the ring) came from the old Western Cutlery Co. that went from 1911 to 1984. They were based in Colorado and made fixed and folding sporting knives. I'm not sure if they made any kitchen knives. The steel is a grade that was developed specifically for knives and cutlery. It is known as 1095CV or 50100 and is still used by CASE and others for their carbon steel knives today. It is 1095 with the addition of chrome and vanadium. A knife maker close by picked it up as scrap and I got some from him 20 years ago.

I think that the profile will be the same as the Forgecraft. I like this idea because Forgecraft made their first knives from salvaged saw blades that had the recognizable pattern rolled into the surface to help keep the blade running cool at the saw mill.

We'll do a little every day. Not sure how long it'll take. Pic's are of the ring, cutting a small piece, and welding a tang so that we can forge it out.

More on the handle later.

Love and respect

Hoss
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	245.0 KB 
ID:	14837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	511.1 KB 
ID:	14836  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	14838  

Looks like a cool project. Nice to see you back in the shop, but don't push things too much!

Devin's giving some forgecraft love. Can't wait. If I had the dough, I'd commission one for myself.
    lol
    have fun, take it easy.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

too cool. I'm looking forward to seeing the progression. thanks for sharing.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Interesting project Hoss! Happy to see you doing something purely for passion.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I think some of the best knives comes from these experiments. Way to go Devin! I know you have been itching to make a knife for a long time.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Very interesting project! Really looking forward to the progress.

Cool man. Just glad you are feeling well enough to get moving even if it's just a little bit. You go a bit crazy when you haven't created anything in awhile.

Best Regards,
    Rick
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Love the action pic with the Hoss glove

Hoss= Funky Boss
    Hoss=Awesome sauce
    Hoss=money floss
    Hoss=Golden Gloss

I don't have anything in the works by Devin, but I wanna see him get back in action again so bad!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Thanks everyone.

Love and respect

Hoss