Feedback on Konosuke Funayuki/"New Shape"?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannynyc

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a Kono HD 270mm gyuto and am deciding between the original profile (currently sold out) and the funayuki ("new shape"). I've trolled the internet and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on the performance of the funayuki. Anyone have any feedback they could share? If you've tried both profiles, I'd be especially interested to hear what you have to say.

And before you ask, yes, I push cut.

A common observation is that the more rounded tip is better suited for rock cutting, and the funi/gyuto shape for push cutting -- but to me, the funi/gyuto can do both just fine. More importantly, it has a much more useful tip for finer work. I don't think there's any downside to the new profile, and quite a bit of upside.

Thanks for the replies so far. Please keep them coming.
If anyone has the 270 would you be so kind as to let me know the blade length? It's not specified on the CKTG website but I note that the Richmond Ultimatum "270" (which seems to have a very similar profile) is actually 285mm, which is a bit long for me.

Thanks for the replies so far. Please keep them coming.
If anyone has the 270 would you be so kind as to let me know the blade length? It's not specified on the CKTG website but I note that the Richmond Ultimatum "270" (which seems to have a very similar profile) is actually 285mm, which is a bit long for me.

Ask Mark or Sue about the lengthin an email. Their track record on replies is pretty good. I'm betting it's a bit shorter than 270 mm. The Ultimatum is patterned after the Masamoto KS, and that knife runs long.

Rick

I'd be interested to see of it's measured as a knife with a machi or not.

Oh, by the way, funy shapes are great if you like aggressive, nimble feeling knives (not that Konos ever feel anything but).

In my experience, Konosuke wa blades are typically shorter than their stated length. This is because they measure from the tip to the machi, not the heel of the blade.

The moderator at CKTG forums tells me the blade is 270.5mm from heel to spine. So much for it being shorter. Any more reports from anyone who's actually used this knife?

This isn't quite the data point you're looking for, but my 240 funayuki/gyuto is about 233mm along the edge, from heel to tip. I've heard repeatedly that the 270s run more true, but can't confirm myself.

I should have been more specific earlier. My kono hd gyuto 240 is actually 235, I've also purchased 2 hd Western 210's which were their stated length. My grill cook purchased a 210 Wa but it's actual length is just under 205. However, my 270mm Konosuke mioroshi Deba is actually just about 275mm but that was a custom order. It's looking like the 240's and under are shorter than their stated length but the 270's are just over. IDK

Confused here...don't these (ultimatums) still have a lot of work to do (heavy thinning from what I understood) once you get the knife? Kono should be a better knife oob but may have f&f issues? Not sure about f&f on ultms...and really don't care personally. :scratchhead: I'm guessing there are better options than either unless you just really want a Kono. :whistling:

As the OP can I say that I'm not really considering the Richmond? Perhaps that could be the subject of another post and we can focus on the two Kono profiles?

Confused here...don't these (ultimatums) still have a lot of work to do (heavy thinning from what I understood) once you get the knife? Kono should be a better knife oob but may have f&f issues? Not sure about f&f on ultms...and really don't care personally. :scratchhead: I'm guessing there are better options than either unless you just really want a Kono. :whistling:

Well, considering this ultimatum is made by konosuke its probably alot better than the others.

The i loved the new kono profile(funy) BTW. Its not dead flat or anything like that, but rather it was patterned after carter funy gyutos. I sold my 240mm funy because it was too short 233ish mm and too light. I wouldve re bought the same knife in the 270mm if it was available before the price increase but it wasnt, so nowadays I'd more inclined to get sakai yusuke or gesshin ginga. What else do you want to know about the knife?

I guess pleasure of use, and if there are any appreciable differences between the profiles for push cutting. I'm less concerned about the tip . Some have addressed these issues already.

It's way better at push cutting than the original profile. But like i said, its not too flat. You could still rock chop herbs if necessary. It is seriously light as a feather in the 240mm though.

Thanks labor of love. Too bad the 240 is short and the 270 long as a long 240 or short 270 would be ideal for me.

From mark:
Here are the stats on the 270 funayuki:
weight: 6oz
blade length: 277mm
total length: 440mm
spine thickness: 2.44mm
blade depth: 53.26mm

Check out the sakai yusuke ks clone review. Its under the review section...the review is called Gisele (a long winded...) theyre true 240mms in swedish stainless and white steel. And they're a bit cheaper than the kono but with better f&f

Back