For a friend amongst us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
So a long time ago in what seems like another lifetime, a person for the most part unknown to me reached out, and since that time we have become friends. You all know him as a generous person, who gives, even when things have been taken from him. We made a deal, well more a trade. In good faith he sent me a bunch of cool stuff, and in return wanted a knife that looked old, from another time...

Not sure if it looks old, but I tried to dig up some old style ideas, and mix it with some new ideas

Damascus blade, distal tapered

Fittings are wrought iron, from a wagon wheel rim that hit these parts in the mid 1800's

Spacers are blue and white turquoise, and the body of the handle is ivory. I intentionally left it looking a little rough, some tool marks show, I may yet etch the wrought to discolor it some. I will wait to get his opinion... Hope you like it brother!

If I had to guess who that belonged to here (even without the story) I would have gotten it on the first try.

Very cool.

Looks right up his alley, nice work Pierre.

The right knife for a good old soul.

Woodn't it be better in stainless?

:newhere:

Really beautiful...congratulations to you both.

Wow! This is turning into an awesome two days for me. Two other makers also got some very special pieces done. I love it brother Bear! I say etch the wrought and see what happens, can you go with a deep etch and see what we get. Turquoise is one of my favorite things and you know how much I love ivory. I really dig that coffin handle shape. love the random pattern dammie. Old school there. Tool marks is good, saves me from dragging it behind a car. It's too shiney.lol
Thank you Brother
Sachem

Curious as to the purpose of the ring on the end?

Had a couple of strokes awhile back and sometimes I randomly drop things. Most if not all of my custom work has a loop, lanyard hole or ring incorporated as an insurance policy. I usually put a leather thong in there but, the health dept. doesn't let me do that anymore. I gotta find some smooth stainless steel wire loops.

Congratulations Son beautiful knife! You are so very deserving!

Absolutely stunning knife. Congratulations Son and great work Pierre.

That looks like a great knife Pierre, like everyone said, you can tell it's a Pierre and you can tell it's for Son, amazing. You're gonna need to find a real old school rat trap to make a saya for that one Son!

Sweet!
Can't think of anyone more deserving of such a killer blade. It looks like Son made it with his brainpower!
This makes my day. You guys are awesome.

Beautiful work, it looks perfect! Congrats Son, hope it is exactly what you were wanting.

Cheers!

a gift that is totally handmade by the person giving it has an entirely different dimension to it.

When I was in the rural areas in Cambodia, i am always touched by people who gave me "fruits of their labour". rice and fruits. On one occasion, the host climbed up the coconut tree to pluck coconuts for us to have fresh coconut juice.

Its always nice to see kindness, good intentions etc reciprocated. and also when people touch base with people whom we have affected/helped or shaped us in our journey in life.

Salute! to both of you.

rgds d

Gear to see full pics, Pierre! Looks amazing. :D

Son, I remember talking to you on the phone a little over a month ago (was it that long?), and you were bragging about how you were getting a Rodrigue (as much as you even know how to brag). I'm glad it popped out of nowhere and that it's insanely awesome!

Congrats to both of you guys. Best place on the Internet.......

great looking knife... what i love is without any description and casual forum knowledge its easy to guess this knife would be one son would love.
congrats to both of you hope you put it through its paces son.

Beautiful work Pierre. Son - where do you anchor your lanyard? Neck, belt, wrist? . . . and does it have to be stainless?

Latest posts

Back