Quantcast
Home Dry aged Ribeyes - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Dry aged Ribeyes

Thanks for the info sir. I figured drinks in the door werent the best but I went with it. I cut them up to try out different days aged, one will be 30 and the second 45. Once I decide which I like the best I'll do a whole prime slab. The opening was mostly to monitor and check the temp, as I only had one way to do that. If this is successful I'll buy the rest of the kit hygrometer and perhaps an outside temperature controller and external thermometer.

This is an initial trial so I am just experimenting here, thanks for the feedback I will apply this info.

It takes a while to get a system worked out but IMO it's time and $$$ well spent. Don't overlook wet aging beef as an option as well. You can get excellent results aging a whole loin in the fridge for 3-4 weeks and then letting it air dry for a week or so. This is much simpler with a lot less loss but the flavor profile is also much different.

You might check this out, just a display, no control function.
    Saves you from opening the door though.
    http://www.thermoworks.com/products/...ty/rt817e.html

For control also Auber Ins makes a unit. I think it will control temp and humidity for around $130, iirc
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Here it is, $110. not too bad.
    http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=265

Pretty slick looking unit.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Anybody try UMAi dry bags?
    Smokingpit.com gave them a good review a while back. Been considering giving thema try.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
    It takes a while to get a system worked out but IMO it's time and $$$ well spent. Don't overlook wet aging beef as an option as well. You can get excellent results aging a whole loin in the fridge for 3-4 weeks and then letting it air dry for a week or so. This is much simpler with a lot less loss but the flavor profile is also much different.
    A local butcher who sells pretty high end stuff told me to put the fan right on the meat, that is how his commercial chamber was set up and to turn it as high as possible. I was thinking about adding a second fan to this as well.

Here is the roast before

First cut

What is left and waste pile

Yield was four steaks about this size

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Looks good...need some results!
    Jason

Yeah, looks good. How did it taste?

I've got a humidity controller here somewhere that I bought and didn't need. I'll try to find it and send it to you if you like. Would maybe save you a few bucks ($30 I think) if you were designing a "make do" system.