Quantcast
Home Dry aged Ribeyes - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home Dry aged Ribeyes

Sorry about the delay on the thoughts. I prepared the steaks sous vide and finished in a hot cast iron skillet with the stove top and simultaneous MAPP. The steak was about as good as any I have had recently and probably top ten. The texture was ultra tender but the flavor hadn't developed as much as I had anticipated. These steaks did cook differently so I'll have to adjust that for my next batch but still a really delicious steak none the less. I'll pull the 45 days next Friday and put some finished pictures up of the cooked steaks, we were in such a hurry it slipped my mind this go.

I'll end up buying the rest of the equipment I need and doing a whole rib this time, I hope I am able to get a bone in prime from costco for the next go, although the choice here was very good as well.

I haven't been seeing very many Prime grade sub-primals in cryo @ Costco lately. They always seem to slow down on the prime meat program in the summer here but as it gets later in the season and closer to the Holidays they often have Prime grade bone in rib eye. I did score a couple of CAB choice strip loins at rock bottom price last week. One is wet aging now and I ground one for burger.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Interesting, I would not have went sous vide on those. Do you think that might have affected the final product? After all, you did dry age them, then introduced them to a wet preparation (and of course the sear after).
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    Interesting, I would not have went sous vide on those. Do you think that might have affected the final product? After all, you did dry age them, then introduced them to a wet preparation (and of course the sear after).
    I have been doing alot of steaks like that lately just messing around and trying different temps so I wanted to see how they compared. I am going to do the next either grill or cast iron and evaluate. The prep could have had an effect but I'll have to try at least back to back days of eating to be sure. I'll probably be eating the 45 day samples next weekend so I'll add a few pics of that and cut the steaks to my normal size just to be sure. The roasts are so small though that means like 2 steaks .

I usually just dry them for 3 weeks, my wife wants her shelf space back after that. Even so they are always great, unless I over cook them.

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    Feeling the same way. I hate sous vide steaks as they lack depth. They end up tasting kinda potroast-y.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

I buy 90-day aged strip loins from my excellent local butcher and I always do them in my cast iron skillet, 4 minutes per side. The flavor is mind-blowing. I don't know if any sous-vide steak could ever compare although I agree it's great for cuts like short ribs.