Quantcast
New Video- Uraoshi Sharpening
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Video- Uraoshi Sharpening

Sponsors

New Video- Uraoshi Sharpening

This video covers the basics of Uraoshi sharpening, or the sharpening of the backs of traditional single bevel Japanese Knives (yanagiba, deba, usuba, etc.). In this video i explain what stones to use, the angles of approach, and how to apply pressure while doing this kind of sharpening. I have tried many approaches to uraoshi sharpening over the years and this is the one that delivers the best results... it also happens to be the way i was taught in Japan.

In the video, i just noticed that i forgot to mention that the back of the knife is laid flat against the stone. Whoops. Sorry guys.

Anyways, if you have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask.

-Jon

Great video as always, Jon. Thanks for the info.

I love it. I learn something from you every week. Like last week I learned that I need a silk bag for my knives and now it is uraoshi sharpening. perfect.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Sponsors
    hey, by the way, that bevel on the yanagi was done by our takashima awasedo

Thats the kind of nice smooth finish you can get with a softer muddy stone and very light pressure

When are the stone ponds coming?

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Great video. I find that the details you included in your video are either overlooked or unknown by the author in most single bevel sharpening guides I have read. Maybe because it is "easier" than sharpening at an angle. Thanks for the tips.

Also, you should be able to add little "speech bubbles" during the video on youtube so you could make a note that you are holding the blade flat on the stone (for those that find it without the context of this post).

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Great video. I find that the details you included in your video are either overlooked or unknown by the author in most single bevel sharpening guides I have read. Maybe because it is "easier" than sharpening at an angle. Thanks for the tips.

Also, you should be able to add little "speech bubbles" during the video on youtube so you could make a note that you are holding the blade flat on the stone (for those that find it without the context of this post).
    sweet idea for the video... done and done

Thanks

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    When are the stone ponds coming?

k.
    working on it... shipping is kind of a pain, so i'm figuring that part out too

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    hey, by the way, that bevel on the yanagi was done by our takashima awasedo

Thats the kind of nice smooth finish you can get with a softer muddy stone and very light pressure
    You did that using your hamaguri sharpening and blending the bevels? I'm going to be picking up a single beveled knife to learn on very soon.

Sponsors
    that knife happens to be hamaguriba, but you can get the same finish on a flat ground bevel... its all about using a soft and muddy stone and using the right pressure

+ Reply to Thread