Quantcast
New Video- Uraoshi Sharpening - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Video- Uraoshi Sharpening

that wil help me greatly with my single bevel work (seems liek i am doing much more of that )

Hello Jon,

When I was first learning how to sharpen traditional single bevel knives I was only aloud to preform Uraoshi sharpening. I would do this with new knives as well as older knives and then passed them off to the master sharpener to finish the front side of the knives.
    I was trained to start on diamond rough, and then progress to 1k,6k and finish on a 8k, no matter what the condition of the knife was.
    Is there something Im missing because I see you mention you only do Uraoshi sharpening on a fine stone?

Thank You,
    Jason

Sponsors
    I mention that for safety... In initial sharpening you will want to use coarse stones, but I didn't want to encourage over sharpening. Once things are set, a finishing stone is all you need. I guess my video presupposes the knife has had honbadzuke done.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    I mention that for safety... In initial sharpening you will want to use coarse stones, but I didn't want to encourage over sharpening. Once things are set, a finishing stone is all you need. I guess my video presupposes the knife has had honbadzuke done.
    Thanks Jon appreciate your answer.

Hi Jon, nice video and all the details you put on. But, what if you have an old knife that you can noticed it , it already has over sharpening (uraoshi). Do we need keep doing uraoshi? or Can it be repaired? Thank you.

Kinkoz

Sponsors
    Depending on the condition of the knife, it may be repairable, but it requires special equipment and techniques... Not something you can do at home. Sometimes it can't be fixed though. The knife will still be sharp, but it won't function the same way anymore. You will still need to sharpen the back as a function of making the knife sharp though.

Thanks Jon, one of these days maybe I will call you and take my knife to your shop to get check up.