Quantcast
What makes a suji such a great slicer? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What makes a suji such a great slicer?

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Get yourself a basic sujihiki, a carbon 270 Fujiwara FKH. It will change your life.
    If you had to choose between a yanagiba & suji, which would you go with? (I think I know the answer already...)

Quote Originally Posted by Patatas Bravas View Post
    If you had to choose between a yanagiba & suji, which would you go with? (I think I know the answer already...)
    For cutting a roast, I would choose a sujihiki.

Depends on use.For cutting platters of sashimi for banquets a Yanagiba blows away a Sugi.However a Yanagi is job specific.Both are slicers, the single bevel does it's specific jobs extremely well.A Sugi has a wider range more versitle is a decent slicer.

Many people feel more comfortable wt. a Sugi.,being used to DB knives.For home or limited use in a production Kit. a Sugi can work.If used & sharpened alot they wear down quickly because less steel.I've worn down 2 Masamoto Carbon Sugi's. over the yrs.In the last 10 yrs. I've bought 3 Yanagi's,serveral + Gyuto,Usuba,Deba,Cleavers,but no more Sugi's.

I did get a thin flexible carbon slicer,stag handle,antique blade at the swap meet,Great for carving Turkeys.

I agree less drag and strict ion is not a issue so the less convex u get the straighter cuts u can achieve