What makes a suji such a great slicer?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Nguyen

Reaction score
Given a 240mm gyuto and 240mm sujihiki, why does the suji excel in slicing? They're both the same length, but the suji is cut down in height.

Is that shortened height so crucial to make it work so well? Are there big differences in the grinds that one would expect, that makes it effective (there was a thread discussing suji grinds a while back, but not regarding the comparison to a gyuto in performance).

It just kind of boggles my mind, but... I've never used a suji before, nor have I done enough slicing to have an idea.

Wow, that never even crossed my mind. Sheesh, haha.

Thanks Benuser.

the closer the edge is to your hand, the more control you have.

Sujis tend to much less convexed in comparison to gyutos. I think the reasoning behind this is that the purpose is much more specific and separation isn't an important characteristic.

I've never found sujihikis to be very good at anything.

I was wondering about this too. Any other suji-haters out there? I'm undecided.

For meat and fish it's really the best you may get. Don't expect it to replace your gyuto as a general purpose knife, though. You will miss the distal taper, and may experience some wedging with hard stuff.

Depends on use.For cutting platters of sashimi for banquets a Yanagiba blows away a Sugi.However a Yanagi is job specific.Both are slicers, the single bevel does it's specific jobs extremely well.A Sugi has a wider range more versitle is a decent slicer.

Many people feel more comfortable wt. a Sugi.,being used to DB knives.For home or limited use in a production Kit. a Sugi can work.If used & sharpened alot they wear down quickly because less steel.I've worn down 2 Masamoto Carbon Sugi's. over the yrs.In the last 10 yrs. I've bought 3 Yanagi's,serveral + Gyuto,Usuba,Deba,Cleavers,but no more Sugi's.

I did get a thin flexible carbon slicer,stag handle,antique blade at the swap meet,Great for carving Turkeys.

I agree less drag and strict ion is not a issue so the less convex u get the straighter cuts u can achieve

Latest posts

Back