• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted: African black wood large enough to make a saya for 180mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechler

Reaction score
Should be around 8 inches long by 3.5inches wide by 1 inch tall

I might be able to help.
Give me a couple days to check into it.
I'll have to ship it from Canada if that's ok?

Something in here should work. IMG_0485.jpg

What kind of woods r they?

Read the title? ;)

If Carls source doesn't work out, send me a PM, I have another one - btw., your mailbox is full....

Stefan

I also would like some african blackwood for a saya. say 2x 12" in length, at least 3" wide, 1/4" thick? thought i'd give it a shot seeing how there are potential sources.

Wonder why blackwood for saya? Harder to work and glue wood and expensive. A chance that you will turn out a really nice saya on first few tries are pretty slim. I would recommend poplar in the beginning,and then start using nicer woods as you get better at making sayas.

M

Wonder why blackwood for saya? Harder to work and glue wood and expensive. A chance that you will turn out a really nice saya on first few tries are pretty slim. I would recommend poplar in the beginning,and then start using nicer woods as you get better at making sayas.

M

most recent saya. black palm. pinless friction fit 240 gyuto. now that's some hard wood to work.
i like to think i am pretty decent at making sayas. and yes i did my fair share of practice on poplar
4rs5l4.jpg

thank you hattorichop. i sent you a reply

Back