Quantcast
Decent, homemade sayas

Thread: Decent, homemade sayas

I'm considering ditching my knife case, and just carrying my limited knives loosely in my work bag, maybe in a smaller bag inside my main one. For this, I obviously need some decent sayas. I'm currently using cardboard and duct tape ones that I made, but I don't think these will be adequate as they're pretty loose and I'm not sure if they're sturdy enough at all.
    I usually only carry a forschner chefs, a small paring knife and a main gyuto, which I already have a decent saya for. Anyone have a quick guide on how to make decently good sayas with minimal equipment? I don't mind putting in time, but I don't have space for many tools at all.

Why not go the easy route and buy blade safe guards, they come in sizes to fit both your chefs knife and paring knife (cheap as well)...

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-473...fe+knife+guard

I'm in the UK, I haven't been able to find anything like that at a reasonable price..

check this out
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...light=homemade
    sorry, i noticed you commented on that post already so you must have been aware of it. check youtube?

Simplest wooden one would be a 3 piece laminate like a sandwich. The centre piece being the same thickness as the blade and cut away for the profile.
    Otherwise cardboard and duck tape.