Quantcast
Dave Martell Knives - 1st run - Page 18
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Martell Knives - 1st run

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I heard from the waterjet folks today, if all goes well they'll have the knives all cut by the weekend.

Correction - just heard from the wj folks and we've been moved forward in the line up - blanks should ship by tomorrow!!!!

Cool, looks like this is actually happening. We expect full photo documentation, of course

BTW, if anybody has not yet decided on a wood for the handle, I just got in some stabilized macadamia nut, mango and a few others that I will send out to Dave tomorrow...

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Cool, looks like this is actually happening. We expect full photo documentation, of course

BTW, if anybody has not yet decided on a wood for the handle, I just got in some stabilized macadamia nut, mango and a few others that I will send out to Dave tomorrow...

Stefan
    Geez Stefan. Macadamia Nut, Mango??? I've never even seen these woods stabilized or used for knife handles.

Will the next batch include even more exotic things like Tyrannosaurus Rex fossilized teeth, Loch Ness Monster bone, Dodo beak?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Correction - just heard from the wj folks and we've been moved forward in the line up - blanks should ship by tomorrow!!!!

Correction #2 - just heard from the wj folks (again) and the blanks have shipped today!

So Dave, in order to manage my excitement, what does this mean in terms of people actually getting their knives? I think I am #10 on the list.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    So Dave, in order to manage my excitement, what does this mean in terms of people actually getting their knives? I think I am #10 on the list.

k.

#10? You're screwed!

Nah I hope not. Actually the process will be to next smooth out any rough spots, drill a hole or two, and get them off to heat treat. While they're out there getting their Rc on I'll be setting up things and getting the assembly line ready to attack upon their return.

How long after that?

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Will the next batch include even more exotic things like Tyrannosaurus Rex fossilized teeth, Loch Ness Monster bone, Dodo beak?
    Good guess Michael I was actually thinking about Dinosaur bone material, but you need lapidary equipment for some of that which I don't have. Well, I do have some mammoth bone I want to play with if I ever get to it. Someone also wanted me to make a handle from oosik (fossilized walrus penis) but I wasn't sure I could do it and the sizes were awkward. Will have to look into that again....

Stefan

P.S. Sorry Dave, don't want to plaster your thread, so I'll keep quiet for now.

Good guess Michael I was actually thinking about Dinosaur bone material, but you need lapidary equipment for some of that which I don't have. Well, I do have some mammoth bone I want to play with if I ever get to it. Someone also wanted me to make a handle from oosik (fossilized walrus penis) but I wasn't sure I could do it and the sizes were awkward. Will have to look into that again....

Stefan

My dad's friend is a knifemaker here in town and I was at his shop and he handed me something and said, "I'm going to make a handle out of this soon." I asked him what it was and he said, "Walrus penis." Funny stuff!

Awkwardly sized fossilized walrus penis? Oh, lord, where do I start?

Stefan

I was joking about the dinosaur bone.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

+ Reply to Thread