Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Martell Knives - 1st run

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    O1 sounds good to me. Here is one that Butch made from O1.Stefan
    Dang. That's one sexy knife Butch made for you Stefan. Forced Patina aside (which probably also had something to do with living in Hawaii) anything else people should know about the steel's performance? Oh, and out of curiosity, is that handle one of your beauty's or Butch's?
    Last edited by bprescot; 02-28-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: grammar

58mm is tall-ish for a 240mm gyuto. With that much height you would have to have some belly or do something interesting with the shape of the spine to keep a flat edge and narrow tip. I'm looking forward to see what you end up with.

I like what Darkhoek did with his handle, accentuating the palm swell by reducing the bottom of the bolster and adding the curved choil.

Quote Originally Posted by bprescot View Post
    Dang. That's one sexy knife Butch made for you Stefan. Forced Patina aside (which probably also had something to do with living in Hawaii) anything else people should know about the steel's performance? Oh, and out of curiosity, is that handle one of your beauty's or Butch's?
    Thanks, Ben. As Dave can tell you, my knives are rusting away out here, indeed one of the reasons I forced a patina. Well, actually Tim Carter did that for me after I liked it on one of his knives. To be honest, I have only stropped the knife so far, so I cannot say much about sharpening. But it keeps the basic sharpness well as far as I can say - it competes with my stainless clad Carter nakiri and both don't get that much overall work time... The patina does make it a little more sticky, I was wondering whether tha might be less with a natural patina. Oh, and Butch was nice enough to make the blade for me and let me stick one of my own handles on there. It's a 'second', the unstabilized thuya burl has a few small surface cracks. Good enough for me but I didn't want to sell it.

Stefan

I'm going to have to sit this one out till I get some $$$ together

Jim

I also force a patina because of spontaneous rust issues. I think O1 is a great material. Personally, I'll be holding out for a stainless model. 90% of my knives are carbon and I'd like to add high-end stainless to my collection. Dave, how thin are you going to make the gyuto?

I plan to go as thin as I can. I can't give numbers at this time since my fingers are my gauges but soon enough I'll know what I feel is right. No chunky monkeys here though.

Sounds good to me. I'm really excited about your knives. Let me know if you want to play with D2. I've got a 4" x 24" x 3/32" piece of D2 I was going to try to make a few knives out of. Then things came up and it's just sitting here wishing to become a knife.

Makes sense Dave. you will at some point thank your self for leaving a little extra wiggle room. It is easy to remove, but your not gonna be able to add any!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com