Quantcast
Dave Martell Knives - 1st run - Page 2
Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Martell Knives - 1st run

Dave,

How long can we sit on the fence before you close the pre-production orders? Or is it closed already?

Rick

I'm not really concerned about the profile that much. Seeing as they're made from cardboard, it should be easy to modify.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Dave,

How long can we sit on the fence before you close the pre-production orders? Or is it closed already?

Rick
    I'm not going to close the door on ordering these but since I'm having a limited number of these cut to shape (and this number hasn't been exactly determined yet) it may be more of an issue of first come - first served as I can only make what I have on hand. This is a tough one for me to answer directly.

Why O-1?

Dave,

First, congratulations for getting into the knife making biz. You certainly know what a good knife should be. I hope this new venture turns out to be a great success for you.

Next, I have a few questions. I know nothing about O-1 steel. Is it stainless, carbon, semi-stainless, or what?

What HRC do you plan to harden it to?

How heavy do you plan to make these knives? Lasers? Mid-weight? Beefy?

What handle materials will be available?

Thanks in advance for your answers and I wish you great luck with this.

Dean
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Dave, What handle options are you going to be offering on the 240 western? What are the reasons for O1 given all the other crazy options out there ? How many in this run ? Do i still have time to make a deposit on one in the first batch?
    Thanks ,,, Dwain

Hi guys, I chose O-1 because it's carbon and it's tough but also because it's the choice of a couple of super smart key people in the knifemaking world as what they would use if they were in my shoes. In my eyes it's got a lot going for it.

The handle materials haven't yet been selected. The first 12 will get something special and unique on each one but after that they'll be done in batches. I think at some point that there will be something for everyone's taste.

On deposit taking, yeah sure, I should have room on each knife type still to get you in on the first run. I still don't know how many knives of each type will get made and I won't know this until we find out how many knives can be cut from each sheet of steel.

O1 sounds good to me. Here is one that Butch made from O1. It now has a forced patina, not everyone's taste but you don't have to do it Works like a charme:

Stefan

My Pierre-made slicer is O1, and I really like the blade so far.