Page 16 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Martell Knives - 1st run

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I have a PM in to Stefan for him to identify the unmarked wood block. After this the picking can commence.
    Dave:

Since that other place deleted all your handle pictures and comments, can you put up some pictures of Kauri handles that you've done? Also, have you noticed if it's denser or lighter (weight) that the other woods that you use?

I'm interested in getting a Kauri handle since it seems to be extremely durable (and of course, it has a great story). But, those other woods look great. That long piece really is unique!
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Hi guys, just saw this. The black ash burl comes in slightly different colors and the pieces here should be more like the color in this one when finished: http://www.skeller.info/handles/gall...529&fullsize=1 , the pieces came from the same supplier IIRC. The large unlabeled piece is old-growth redwood. You can see the very dense fine lines, I always assumed these are the growth rings, and you find them in this density only in older trees. I was hoping that the redwood piece might be enough for two handles, but it could be too tight.

The kauri is really amazing. That wood looks totally boring and every piece looks the same before stabilizing. After that, they change colors, structures come out, and most of them get a beautiful 3-D effect. I just have some out for stabilizing to make some wa handles and can't wait to play more with it.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Dave:

Since that other place deleted all your handle pictures and comments, can you put up some pictures of Kauri handles that you've done? Also, have you noticed if it's denser or lighter (weight) that the other woods that you use?

I'm interested in getting a Kauri handle since it seems to be extremely durable (and of course, it has a great story). But, those other woods look great. That long piece really is unique!

Here's some kauri handles...

Quote Originally Posted by dough View Post
    do you happen to have any pictures with handles of either black ash or kauri?

I did do a handle in black ash burl, here it is....

Quote Originally Posted by unkajonet View Post
    Hey Master Yodave (yoda + dave) can I have that unlabeled 3d piece?

Maybe, just waiting to here from the person who first asked about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Maybe, just waiting to here from the person who first asked about it.
    Can I be the third person in line? And, I'll look for another piece as well.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I've got a whole slew of emails and PM's on the wood, I'll post what's available as soon as I hear back from the first couple of guys that need to pick. I'll get to those emails and PM's too!

Dave pm'd you back my preferences.

These woods are spoken for...

Kauri 1, 2, 4

Black Ash Burl 1, 2, 3

Old growth redwood

Ironwood Burl 1, 2, 3

Koa #2
    Last edited by Dave Martell; 04-30-2011 at 07:46 PM.