Quantcast
Cast Iron question - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Cast Iron question

  1. #21
    Here is a link that you gents might find helpful- http://www.wag-society.org/Electrolysis/electros.php

    I season my pans outside on the BBQ, keeps me in good with the boss!

  2. #22
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Here is a link that you gents might find helpful- http://www.wag-society.org/Electrolysis/electros.php

    I season my pans outside on the BBQ, keeps me in good with the boss!
    Great link, Jim!

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denton, Tx
    Posts
    510
    I have a Griswold piece that I got as a gift that I can't seem to re-season. I soaked it in oven cleaner for a day and then used a wire wheel brush and got it pretty clean. Then I used the flaxseed method 5 or 6 times in an oven. I used thin coats as suggested and it never turned black, just a dark gray. I started cooking things in it and it started to turn black and I was able to do eggs pretty easily. However, every time I fry some bacon it seems to stick and just destroy the seasoning, not make it better. I always have to clean it using coarse salt and a brush which ends up removing some seasoning. The flaxsee method worked great on a 12" Lodge that I had.

    I think I want to remove all the seasoning again and start over, but the wirebrush method didn't really do the trick. I think I'm going to try sanding. What grit should I start with?

  4. #24
    Senior Member

    SpikeC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    3,773
    I would be worried the the oven cleaner left some residue in the pores of the iron. Maybe boil soapy water in it for a few hours before re-seasoning.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

  5. #25
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,888
    You may want to use electrolysis to get all the crud off your Griswold.

    http://www.wag-society.org/Electrolysis/electros.php

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denton, Tx
    Posts
    510
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    You may want to use electrolysis to get all the crud off your Griswold.

    http://www.wag-society.org/Electrolysis/electros.php
    Thanks for the heads up. For some reason I thought the process was only for rust, I didn't realize grease and carbon crud could be removed as well. I have the charger and a tub so this should be easy.

  7. #27
    Das HandleMeister apicius9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    3,289
    Very cool, I have an old and unused Griswold pan that leads a lonely life hidden away in a closet because it is a bit rusty and I wasn't sure what to do about it. After reading this, I may just get it out and bring it back to life again.

    Stefan

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Very cool, I have an old and unused Griswold pan that leads a lonely life hidden away in a closet because it is a bit rusty and I wasn't sure what to do about it. After reading this, I may just get it out and bring it back to life again.

    Stefan

    Are you kidding me Stefan, one of the best pans ever made and due to some rust it sits in the closet. Get that pan out clean it up, in the oven with some lard, oil or what ever your preference and re season it.
    --
    Joe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •