Quantcast
Cast Iron question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cast Iron question

Cast Iron question

Has anyone re-surfaced their cast iron pans?

I have a large Lodge skillet that I decided to modify for no good reason other then to see if it made a difference. The interior surface had a nice season to it but I decided to sand some of the larger factory textureing down to see if I could make it even better. Still a work in progress but after the first round and re-seasoning it I think I'm liking it better then before.

Has anyone else done this?

Yeah, the cast iron skillet we're using now has been resurfaced. When our son was in University, he left the pan outside for the winter so we had to refinish it. That brand had a real good polish when new so the refinish didn't effect the performance any.

I have a couple of real old cast iron that are glass smooth from the start and also have a couple of Lodge pans with the rough finish. To be perfectly honest both types seem to cook the same as long as they are seasoned the same. I use lard to season with but that is simply because it is cheaper than doing up a couple of pounds of bacon based on today's prices.
    --
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joec View Post
    I have a couple of real old cast iron that are glass smooth from the start and also have a couple of Lodge pans with the rough finish. To be perfectly honest both types seem to cook the same as long as they are seasoned the same. I use lard to season with but that is simply because it is cheaper than doing up a couple of pounds of bacon based on today's prices.
    The latest suggestion I've read is to use flaxseed oil to season your cast iron.

You can have my cast iron pans when you pry them my cold, dead hands.

I forgot i left my cast iron over the burner and destroyed the seasoning. I ended up sanding it down to the bare metal.

Did any of you guys have any trouble getting it a nice black cast iron pan. How long does it take to get nice and black again?

Its getting better but on the sides of the pan still shows bare metal type of color.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by crizq0 View Post
    I forgot i left my cast iron over the burner and destroyed the seasoning. I ended up sanding it down to the bare metal.

Did any of you guys have any trouble getting it a nice black cast iron pan. How long does it take to get nice and black again?

Its getting better but on the sides of the pan still shows bare metal type of color.
    Are you coating the sides and handle with fat and baking it off in the oven? I rusted mine out once and sanded it down to bare metal, only took a few greasy trips through the oven to get a good season back.

Here's a pretty good article on "how to":

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...ing-cast-iron/

Yea, I used shortening to grease it all up. Maybe i'll try some bacon grease to season a bit more times in the oven when I get time.

Other than that, it cooks great. Just want that uniform black cast iron look througout.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Here's a pretty good article on "how to":

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...ing-cast-iron/
    Nice freaking find man!