Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: in support of Jason Collins

It's interesting. The media loves it.
    It's also a shame that it's news that a man is gay.
    One thing that I'm proud of is the human diversity in my line of work. As macho as it gets and as gay as it gets, black, white or red and everything in between. In my experience it has never been an issue and only enhances the work place.
    Does that mean we're enlightened?

Every time something like this is printed homophobia fades a little bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    One thing that I'm proud of is the human diversity in my line of work. As macho as it gets and as gay as it gets, black, white or red and everything in between. In my experience it has never been an issue and only enhances the work place.
    +1 on that.

But I am glad that there seems to be a fair share of knifenuts that does not have an issue with it and is willing to speak up. Kudos to you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    Restaurant folk just have a low tolerance for BS (back of the house anyways). We've seen and been through a lot, so if you can produce, ultimately you're good. I feel ya on a gay dude being news...but as a gay dude, I gotta say, it's news because it's a relevant human rights issue. And people coming forward to culture understanding is needed. It's good for everyone to see we all can be happy, healthy, productive and successful regardless of sexuality. We all deserve equal rights.

Good on you, Jon.

Yes, indeed -- good for him. For a professional athlete -- especially a black professional athlete -- to come out like this is an important step, and I hope it helps erode some of the persistent homophobia in that world.

It's being reported as a big story in 'American sport' outside of the US too. The first time a well-known US athlete has come out. Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Patatas Bravas View Post
    It's being reported as a big story in 'American sport' outside of the US too. The first time a well-known US athlete has come out. Really?
    Not the first well-known athlete, but the first male athlete in a big money team sport; basketball and American football are still perceived as bastions of "traditional" US masculinity in a way that other sports are not. There are also deep taboos about homosexuality in much of black America. Proportionately more black gay men are deeply closeted, especially among those who are perceived to be (or perceive themselves to be) conventionally masculine/macho. All of that adds up to this being a bigger issue -- and a more courageous act -- than would be the case with many other athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by mkmk View Post
    Not the first well-known athlete, but the first male athlete in a big money team sport; basketball and American football are still perceived as bastions of "traditional" US masculinity in a way that other sports are not. There are also deep taboos about homosexuality in much of black America. Proportionately more black gay men are deeply closeted, especially among those who are perceived to be (or perceive themselves to be) conventionally masculine/macho. All of that adds up to this being a bigger issue -- and a more courageous act -- than would be the case with many other athletes.
    Good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by jayhay View Post
    And people coming forward to culture understanding is needed. It's good for everyone to see we all can be happy, healthy, productive and successful regardless of sexuality. We all deserve equal rights.
    +1

To me, this is precisely why it was particularly important.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    It's crazy to think of how much things have changed in my short lifetime. I never thought it would be so widely accepted. I'm happy that people can come out and be true to themselves and to the rest of the world. I can only imagine how terrible it would feel to have to keep a secret and lie to everyone for your entire life.
    What people do in their bedrooms is none of my business. It's all about the content of your character and your actions.
    That's what matters.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon