Preferences on white wines for cooking?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayeung74

Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations for cheap white wines to use for cooking wine (besides leftover from old bottles)? I just wanted to see if people here have any preferences for brands or types for their all-purpose white wine for cooking.

I don't have any real preference, but usually I'll go for something like Yellowtail (it's about $4.00/bottle on sale here).

I prefer Sauvignon blanc or wines that have good acidity. Most low price CA Chards are too flabby. YMMV!

I use Pinot Grigio. I like to keep those little bottles that come in a 4 pack for cooking at home. Like Sutter Home. Convenient size, less waste.

-AJ

i dont think many people in this world could tell a difference, so id say take the cheapest.

Leftovers, cheap Sav Blanc from a box and depending on what cooking, Shao Xing and cooking sake as well.

I've been told to avoid California Oak barrels, for whatever reason...

Great idea on the box wine...the two buck chuck isn't a bad deal at all either. I bought some recently to try and it's drinkable...certainly worth it for cooking. Thanks everyone.

I like it as well, although sometimes I forget that I have it.

first things first. i admire you guys big time. i live near wine country. most of my friends are in the bizness of wine. SNOBS..all of them.

they would cry foul at the mere mention of using inexpensive wine in cooking..box? hahahha..

with wine, expecially white wine in cooking i use whatever is cheap and on sale. my neighbor hated this pinot grigio and was about to toss it..i saved it. i am making a pork ragu tonight with it. i will give the neighbor half.

i did a good white versus cheap white..(i used cheap chinese cooking wine!) in a blind risotto taste. my buddies couldnt call it. it was too close to tell. funny.

great thread.

how do you feel about red wine in cooking? same idea? cheap.

I cook with a splash of whatever I'm drinking, usually a good Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc.

I use Bandit pinot grigio in a 1 liter box. It's bright and neutral, and it's easy to crush the box down to eliminate air space so it keeps in the fridge. About $7.

Back