Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Misono Sweden 270 Suji

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    JCK still has Hiro AS in stock
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Maybe one should get a 240 for wa-conversion just in case.....

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Doh! not the suji, but the gyutos, pettys and santoku. I wish I could buy one to save for later.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

this was a test to my conviction of buying no more knives for a while. I failed. Been toying with the idea of getting one after seeing what Dave has been doing with them (curse you and your eye candy Dave!), but decided on waiting. Now that there's a chance of this knife ceasing to be made, well...

Quote Originally Posted by marc4pt0 View Post
    this was a test to my conviction of buying no more knives for a while. I failed. Been toying with the idea of getting one after seeing what Dave has been doing with them (curse you and your eye candy Dave!), but decided on waiting. Now that there's a chance of this knife ceasing to be made, well...
    From sound of Koki's email the suji & santoku are gone, petty is on way out, but gyutos are still coming. I think they are one of his top 5 sellers.

I seem to have hijacked my own thread.

If anyone wants to get back on topic and give me any words about the Misono Sweden Suji - opinions, care advice, etc etc I would be very grateful.

The Misono performs quite well. Appreciably thin, but not too thin. It's a bit reactive at first but once the patina is set, it becomes fairly non reactive. It holds the edge for a reasonable length of time and with a quick strop or touch up with (my recently departed) Mac rod, it would be right back and ready to keep going. It sharpens easily and mostly, it just looks absurdly cool with that dragon on the blade. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    The Misono performs quite well. Appreciably thin, but not too thin. It's a bit reactive at first but once the patina is set, it becomes fairly non reactive. It holds the edge for a reasonable length of time and with a quick strop or touch up with (my recently departed) Mac rod, it would be right back and ready to keep going. It sharpens easily and mostly, it just looks absurdly cool with that dragon on the blade. LOL
    I have a dragon gyuto and that is exactly my experience as well.
    Don't touch my d!ck. Dont touch my knife. ~ Anthony Bourdain ~

Quote Originally Posted by K-Fed View Post
    I have a dragon gyuto and that is exactly my experience as well.
    +1
    I would just add, that the handle is very comfortable, if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    I think that this is a fairly positive (if not enthusing) review. Thanks Miles & K-Fed.

All I have to compare it to is a CarboNext really, and I am perhaps stupidly wanting to try out a true carbon. (Perhaps stupidly because I will probably forget to clean it and have it rust on me within a month.)

Budget around $200 this seems to be best option for me (in UK).

Of course please feel free to jump in and recommend another knives. I like hearing about all the different ones!

Tempted by Gesshin Ginga but can't justify the extra $100... ($200 is already pushing well past boundary of what I considered rational for a knife just 4 months ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    +1
    I would just add, that the handle is very comfortable, if that matters.
    Yep it all helps - I hear Misono have very good F&F as well, which is always going to be nice. Thanks Ben.

Believe it or not, but I only own two Misono knives. Both gyutos, and both are much better knives than I ever could have hoped. Although Randy and I changed out my handle on the Dragon, the stock handle is very nice, albeit boring. However, the f and f is great, the profile is just about perfect and I really like how both of my Misonos sharpen up and feel on the stones. I got some light rusting on my Dragon, but it came off very easily. I then forced a patina and let a natural one grow over top of that. Since, I've had zero issues with the knife. Although it's a $170 knife (weren't the just $205?), it's one of my all-time favourites!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com