Misono Sweden 270 Suji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdpx

Reaction score
So with Hiro AS no longer available, I was thinking about a dragon suji, as I have very generously been offered a knife for my birthday next week.

Do you all think that this a good idea?

Hiro AS - not available?

It looks that way. This is a snippet from another thread:

Yeah I hear that. I am considering buying a sujihiki and am sure they were up last week.... Was leaning towards an AS!

This just in from Koki:-

Thank you very much for your new inquiry and interest.

We apologize for the availability of Hiromoto Aogami Super TJ-90AS Sujihiki 270mm.

Maker Hiromoto used to make Sujihiki knives in Aogami Super Series. But they already discontinued the Sujihiki items and Sujihiki items got completely sold out and out of stock before.

Mr. Nagao (President of Hiromoto company) is 75 years old. He is going to get retired in near future. Maker Hiromoto is already discontinuing some models (such as TJ-50AS Petty 120mm, TJ-40AS Santoku160mm. Once current inventory of TJ-50AS will be out of stock, this item will be completely discontinued. TJ-40AS Santoku 160mm already got completely out of stock.

We apologize again for the availability and situation of Hiromoto Aogami Super Sujihiki knives.

If you are looking for good carbon steel blade of Sujihiki knife, we can also recommend below items.

KAGAYAKI CarboNext Sujihiki knives at http://japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKICarboNextSeries.html#CarboNextSeries

Misono Sweden Steel Series Sujihiki knives at http://japanesechefsknife.com/SwedenSteelSeries.html#SwedenSteel

We hope you will find your favorite one and when you will have any questions, please let us know and help.

Thank you very much again for your new inquiry and interest.

Best Regards

Koki Iwahara
JapaneseChefsKnife.Com

NOOOOOOOO!!!!! I knew about certain models being discontinued but I had never been told about the whole line going away -that sucks. :(

I'm kinda hoping Hiromoto will come up new AS line with wa-handle......

That's gonna make my Dave spa treatment suji even more special

I don't have the Swedish misono suji but I do have the gyuto and rode it hard for many years on the line and I still love it. It's one of those knives that I can use even when it's not at its sharpest.

I'm kinda hoping Hiromoto will come up new AS line with wa-handle......

I wouldn't hold out for it. They stopped making the wa handle knives a couple years ago. It sounds like they're starting to wind down production as Mr Nagao heads for retirement. There are some other options out there, but Hiromoto was always hard to beat on price. They definitely were the starter AS knife for a lot of folks, myself included.

Doh! not the suji, but the gyutos, pettys and santoku. I wish I could buy one to save for later.

this was a test to my conviction of buying no more knives for a while. I failed. Been toying with the idea of getting one after seeing what Dave has been doing with them (curse you and your eye candy Dave!), but decided on waiting. Now that there's a chance of this knife ceasing to be made, well...

this was a test to my conviction of buying no more knives for a while. I failed. Been toying with the idea of getting one after seeing what Dave has been doing with them (curse you and your eye candy Dave!), but decided on waiting. Now that there's a chance of this knife ceasing to be made, well...

From sound of Koki's email the suji & santoku are gone, petty is on way out, but gyutos are still coming. I think they are one of his top 5 sellers.

I seem to have hijacked my own thread.

If anyone wants to get back on topic and give me any words about the Misono Sweden Suji - opinions, care advice, etc etc I would be very grateful.

:pirate1:

The Misono performs quite well. Appreciably thin, but not too thin. It's a bit reactive at first but once the patina is set, it becomes fairly non reactive. It holds the edge for a reasonable length of time and with a quick strop or touch up with (my recently departed) Mac rod, it would be right back and ready to keep going. It sharpens easily and mostly, it just looks absurdly cool with that dragon on the blade. LOL

The Misono performs quite well. Appreciably thin, but not too thin. It's a bit reactive at first but once the patina is set, it becomes fairly non reactive. It holds the edge for a reasonable length of time and with a quick strop or touch up with (my recently departed) Mac rod, it would be right back and ready to keep going. It sharpens easily and mostly, it just looks absurdly cool with that dragon on the blade. LOL
I have a dragon gyuto and that is exactly my experience as well.

I think that this is a fairly positive (if not enthusing) review. Thanks Miles & K-Fed.

All I have to compare it to is a CarboNext really, and I am perhaps stupidly wanting to try out a true carbon. (Perhaps stupidly because I will probably forget to clean it and have it rust on me within a month.)

Budget around $200 this seems to be best option for me (in UK).

Of course please feel free to jump in and recommend another knives. I like hearing about all the different ones!

Tempted by Gesshin Ginga but can't justify the extra $100... ($200 is already pushing well past boundary of what I considered rational for a knife just 4 months ago)

+1
I would just add, that the handle is very comfortable, if that matters.

Yep it all helps - I hear Misono have very good F&F as well, which is always going to be nice. Thanks Ben.

Believe it or not, but I only own two Misono knives. Both gyutos, and both are much better knives than I ever could have hoped. Although Randy and I changed out my handle on the Dragon, the stock handle is very nice, albeit boring. However, the f and f is great, the profile is just about perfect and I really like how both of my Misonos sharpen up and feel on the stones. I got some light rusting on my Dragon, but it came off very easily. I then forced a patina and let a natural one grow over top of that. Since, I've had zero issues with the knife. Although it's a $170 knife (weren't the just $205?), it's one of my all-time favourites!

Thanks Lefty that pretty much made the decision for me.

Trigger pulled and knife ordered - hopefully it will turn up in time for my birthday on Tuesday. Big thanks to my girlfriend for a lovely present.

So now any advice on what I need to do to look after this knife (it being my first experience with carbon) will be doubly welcome.

Please also feel free to chime in with any more "This is a great knife you are going to love it" style comments though!

I came here asking for advice on a $60 Henckels 3 months ago, and now have (or nearly have) north of $300 of knives, and am considering a honesuki from Jon Broida! I might have to stop this, I mean I can't even cook.

:knife::hungry::)

"Don't stop get it get it..."
You are going to love the Misono. I just recently pulled the trigger on my 240 gyuto and now I have no clue as to why I had waited so long. I clearly was missing out. What a great knife! Fun watching the patina grow on it and as said before- there's a freaking Dragon on it! You get to name it, and feed it and bath it and so on!

...am considering a honesuki from Jon Broida!

Just spoke on IM with my sister in California and asked if she would be happy to bring over a knife for me when she comes next month, and she said "Not really...". What is it with some people and sharp kitchen knives that they think they are some kind of BAD THING? Any advice on how to set people at ease about these things?

"Don't stop get it get it..."
You are going to love the Misono. I just recently pulled the trigger on my 240 gyuto and now I have no clue as to why I had waited so long. I clearly was missing out. What a great knife! Fun watching the patina grow on it and as said before- there's a freaking Dragon on it! You get to name it, and feed it and bath it and so on!

Great marc this is EXACTLY what I need to hear!!! Already planning horseradish & beef joint to get her going. I am thinking I will need to get a REALLY GOOD joint of beef to properly christen this knife.

Just spoke on IM with my sister in California and asked if she would be happy to bring over a knife for me when she comes next month, and she said "Not really...". What is it with some people and sharp kitchen knives that they think they are some kind of BAD THING? Any advice on how to set people at ease about these things?

If anyone can figure this one out, please let my GF know!! She is content using a steak knife to cut EVERYTHING!

Chris

I wish I could shed light on this. I can't. I will say this, I have a game I play when I visit people's homes. I can evaluate with great accuracy, the level of sharpness of the knives in a home without actually touching or examining the knives. I just watch what they do. I locate the fancy knife block set which was undoubtedly a wedding gift, then based upon which of the knives the homeowner pulls out, I know immediately just how sharp they are. If they're using the boning knife or paring knife for all the cutting, then all the larger knives are dull. If they reach for one of the steak knives, they're all dull. I actually joke about this when I teach knife skills. Sadly, it's not just a joke. I've become very skilled at this game. :bigeek:

Latest posts

Back