Quantcast
New Gyuto Advice Please.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Gyuto Advice Please.

New Gyuto Advice Please.

Hi all, newbie here probably asking the same old question. I'm an ex pro chef looking to replace a 240mm gyuto i've had for over 20 years. The brand has long since rubbed off the knife and i genuinely can't remember what make it was. The knife i buy will be a working knife, being used every day. I use this knife for 90% of my knife work.
    I'm not worried about it being made of damascus steel or being sharp enough to slice atoms, just a well made knife which sharpens nicely and can retain an edge for more than 5 mins!
    It needs a reasonable size handle (western) as i have large hands and i'm probably looking for stainless steel though open to suggestions.
    At the moment i'm considering -

Hiromoto Tenmi-Jyuraku Gingami No.3 Series
    Kanetsugu Saiun Damascus Series (Has a nice large looking handle but wondering how it feels in hand)

Any opinions on these or better suggestions?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...Line-of-Knives

Not, stainless, but 01 is petty fantastic and not annoyingly reactive... and the handle should be very good.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

The Hiromoto Gingami line has always garnered good feedback from folks, though I admit I have not used it myself.

The Suisin HD line is worth considering, though that's not western-handled.

The Sakai Yusuke stainless knives with harder heat treatment seems to be getting good attention lately too.

Sorry, not much firsthand experience with a lot of stainless lines so I have to leave it to the others to give you more detailed suggestions
    Len

I haven't used one, but if I was to buy a knife tomorrow with the demands that you mention, I would buy a gesshin Kagero from Japanese knife imports.

Maybe you could post a photo of your 20 yr old gyuto?

Masamoto VG?
    CarboNext?

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    Masamoto VG?
    CarboNext?
    +1 on the Masamoto. The handle is large for a Japanese knife. Another knife to consider would be the Hattori KF sold by Japanese Chef Knives. Great handle, and a good stainless steel.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Masahiro tend to have larger handles IME.
    Not sure about the handle of the CarboNext, but thought it deserves a mention for the value.

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    The Hiromoto Gingami line has always garnered good feedback from folks, though I admit I have not used it myself.

The Suisin HD line is worth considering, though that's not western-handled.

The Sakai Yusuke stainless knives with harder heat treatment seems to be getting good attention lately too.

Sorry, not much firsthand experience with a lot of stainless lines so I have to leave it to the others to give you more detailed suggestions
    Suisin HD? Did you mean Konosuke?

Oops. Yes, Kono
    Len

+ Reply to Thread