Quantcast
Hard lesson learned: Never trust your co-workers.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard lesson learned: Never trust your co-workers.

Hard lesson learned: Never trust your co-workers.

I just want to vent a bit. I was working in a kitchen then I've been in for almost 2 years. It was only myself, the chef de cuisine and 2 sous chefs left in the kitchen finishing up service and working on some projects. I was working an overnight shift, so they left early and I stayed until the next morning. For this shift, I had a ton of prep to do, so I brought both of my knife kits, knowing that I am going to need them. I also brought my stones because I knew that some of my knives were going to be abused. Unfortunately, while I was busy cooking orders so the rest of the guys could leave... one of them walked out with one of my knife kits. All of them deny it and unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about it without proof because of HR rules, etc. So... just a warning to you guys, it doesn't matter how much you trust the people you work with or how nice they seem... just watch your back. Luckily, they only took one of my kits and left the other one, but I still lost about half of my collection.

The following is a list of everything I lost:
    CCK KF2205
    CCK KF2206
    CCK KF2301
    Fujiwara Terayasu Maboroshi No Meito Nakiri Kagugata 7 3/4”
    Konsuke Fujiyama White #1 Deba 180mm
    Konsuke Fujiyama White #1 Wa-Kiritsuke Gyuto 270mm Ebony
    Tojiro 270mm ITK Bread Knife
    Itto-Ryu Rentetsu Hand Forged White #1 Santoku 160mm
    Massakage koishi bunka 170mm
    Kikuichi Elite Carbon Hankotsu 150mm
    Konsuke Fujiyama White #1 Petty Knife 150mm
    Berti Large Chef Knife Anchor Tang Oxhorn
    Berti Flexi Fish Filet Knife
    Berti Pesto Knife (Mezzaluna)
    Shapton Glass Sharpening Stone 1,000 Grit
    Shapton Glass Sharpening Stone 4,000 Grit
    Shapton Glass Sharpening Stone 8,000 Grit
    Shapton Glass Sharpening Stone 16,000 Grit
    Shapton Glass Sharpening Stone 30,000 Grit
    MAC Black Ceramic Honing Rod
    Hand American Borosilicate Honing Rod

you have my sympathies, you should see the list of knives that were stolen from me last year.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Jeez. Hope you get em back.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbrother View Post
    I just want to vent a bit. I was working in a kitchen then I've been in for almost 2 years. It was only myself, the chef de cuisine and 2 sous chefs left in the kitchen finishing up service and working on some projects. I was working an overnight shift, so they left early and I stayed until the next morning. For this shift, I had a ton of prep to do, so I brought both of my knife kits, knowing that I am going to need them. I also brought my stones because I knew that some of my knives were going to be abused. Unfortunately, while I was busy cooking orders so the rest of the guys could leave... one of them walked out with one of my knife kits. All of them deny it and unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about it without proof because of HR rules, etc. So... just a warning to you guys, it doesn't matter how much you trust the people you work with or how nice they seem... just watch your back. Luckily, they only took one of my kits and left the other one, but I still lost about half of my collection.

The following is a list of everything I lost:
    CCK KF2205
    CCK KF2206
    CCK KF2301
    Fujiwara Terayasu Maboroshi No Meito Nakiri Kagugata 7 3/4”
    Konsuke Fujiyama White #1 Deba 180mm
    Konsuke Fujiyama White #1 Wa-Kiritsuke Gyuto 270mm Ebony
    Tojiro 270mm ITK Bread Knife
    Itto-Ryu Rentetsu Hand Forged White #1 Santoku 160mm
    Massakage koishi bunka 170mm
    Kikuichi Elite Carbon Hankotsu 150mm
    Konsuke Fujiyama White #1 Petty Knife 150mm
    Berti Large Chef Knife Anchor Tang Oxhorn
    Berti Flexi Fish Filet Knife
    Berti Pesto Knife (Mezzaluna)
    Shapton Glass Sharpening Stone 1,000 Grit
    Shapton Glass Sharpening Stone 4,000 Grit
    Shapton Glass Sharpening Stone 8,000 Grit
    Shapton Glass Sharpening Stone 16,000 Grit
    Shapton Glass Sharpening Stone 30,000 Grit
    MAC Black Ceramic Honing Rod
    Hand American Borosilicate Honing Rod
    as i read down your list i started feeling sick... i was robbed of some very precious things ... you have my sympathies ..
    i recently reviewed my home owners insurance and was asked what i had of value in the house.. [knives and guns] .. they are covered as are things stolen 'off site' you might want to contact your carrier.. given your list it is worth a try.

My renters insurance covers knives stolen at work. Good luck!

I already talked to the renters insurance.. they won't cover it. The only thing to do now is start collecting again. Atleast I have my old apprentice knives to fill in the empty slots until I get better.

What about the police, if you make a report ??

Perhaps keep an eye on ebay and that sort of thing? Do you have any pawn shops in you area? If so it might be worth keeping an eye on them

Your employers don't feel like leaning on the other people who were there while it happened?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I feel your pain. I once had one of my crew take my entire kit from my office. It sucks a lot worse than the value of a few knives or stones when you realize some one on your crew will gladly stick you in the back when your not looking. AFAIK no home owners, renters etc will cover any work related tool. Your employer however should have insurance and at least make some effort to make you whole. The police can't do much unless you had your knives engraved.