Quantcast
Hard lesson learned: Never trust your co-workers. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard lesson learned: Never trust your co-workers.

Are there any security cameras on site that you could reference?

Just awful man...having to work somewhere that you know there is a thief amongst them is unsettling.

Sorry to hear that - thieves should have their thumbs broken. I'm missing something out of my office - you know - that has a lock on the door - and the only other people who have a key is maintenance and security. I also had a tool kit lifted from my bucket in the catwalk so I'm with you there.

At this rate everything we own will have a lo-jack on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Your employers don't feel like leaning on the other people who were there while it happened?
    The problem is that I'm just a cook. The other three people present were chefs. They don't want to risk losing them over accusations, so they basically told me to suck it up and deal with it (in a much more hr friendly way). The police cant do anything without proof that I saw them.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbrother View Post
    The problem is that I'm just a cook. The other three people present were chefs. They don't want to risk losing them over accusations, so they basically told me to suck it up and deal with it (in a much more hr friendly way). The police cant do anything without proof that I saw them.
    So, basically they are happy to have a thief working there.

I am really sorry to hear your story, it must be hard for you to have to go back to that kitchen. Do you have your own suspicions? Did one of them look away suspiciously when you raised the alarm? (Could it have been an opportunist walk in thief?) Did they admit that it must have been one of them but there was nothing to be done?

I guess if there are three, then TWO of them didn't steal your knives. It was probably the boss. Get a better job and then name and shame.

Hard hard hard.

Did the bastards leave you enough knives to work with?

@rdpx I have my suspicions as to who it is, but I can't prove it. He has been eyeing my knives for a long time. I neve thought he would have the tenacity to do it. The restaurant just got one of the top 8 spots in DC according to the Washingtonian, so I'm just surprised it woul happen there. That is also why they don't want to fire the person that did it. Since they won't do anything about it, I told them that I can't work there with a thief. So, I start a new job on Thursday in Northern Virginia. The new chef I will be working for has a lot more skill and focuses entirely on the cuisine that I like to do, farm-to-table. Every ingredient they use comes from Virginia. The chef even goes and forages for stuff to use on the menu.

@pensacola tiger: Sort of, they took the only boning knives I had, my only suji, my only deba and the filet knife. I'm set on cleavers, guutos and petty knives though, lol. They also took my only cimeter, my garasuki and honesuki. I was so frustrated when I made the original post that I forgot to list those, heh. It was my butcher bag with my backup gyutos and petties along with my stones that they took.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    Perhaps keep an eye on ebay and that sort of thing? Do you have any pawn shops in you area? If so it might be worth keeping an eye on them
    I've been watching ebay. It's going to be hard to check all of the pawnshops, since I work in DC. It's a big city, but people commute from Maryland and Virginia as well, so I would have to cover those areas too. I hate to admit it, because I would love to find them, but I don't think I will ever see those knives again.

@rdpx I have my suspicions as to who it is, but I can't prove it. He has been eyeing my knives for a long time. I neve thought he would have the tenacity to do it. The restaurant just got one of the top 8 spots in DC according to the Washingtonian, so I'm just surprised it woul happen there. That is also why they don't want to fire the person that did it. Since they won't do anything about it, I told them that I can't work there with a thief. So, I start a new job on Thursday in Northern Virginia. The new chef I will be working for has a lot more skill and focuses entirely on the cuisine that I like to do, farm-to-table. Every ingredient they use comes from Virginia. The chef even goes and forages for stuff to use on the menu.

@pensacola tiger: Sort of, they took the only boning knives I had, my only suji, my only deba and the filet knife. I'm set on cleavers, guutos and petty knives though, lol. They also took my only cimeter, my garasuki and honesuki. I was so frustrated when I made the original post that I forgot to list those, heh. It was my butcher bag with my backup gyutos and petties along with my stones that they took.

New job, new state! Great stuff. Call the police, they might not be able to arrest anyone but they must at least show up for a report of a theft of $XXXX, surely? And they can take a list of everything that got stolen. Then call The Washingtonian, and your local paper.

I can lend you a suji, a deba and a honesuki until you can get replacements, if you'd like. PM me.

Rick

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    PM me as well and let me know what you need to get by. That's what PIF is for.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

+ Reply to Thread