workhorse wa gyuto recommendations in Japan (210-240mm)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhelminski

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I live in Japan and I'm looking for a nice, everyday wa gyuto to replace a Global G-2.

I bought a 270mm Konosuke HD for a friend and felt totally comfortable using it, but my wife will be using this new knife as well and we have less space here in Japan, so I'm leaning towards 210mm or maybe a 240mm that runs short.

Problem is I'm torn between a laser and a handmade sanmai knife. My original idea was to get another Konosuke, but I'm now leaning towards trying something a bit more substantial, like a Heiji semistainless. Hard to choose.

What are your recommendations for an 'everyday' gyuto that would be shared with someone who is not really a knife enthusiast and doesn't pinch grip?

And for those who live in or have visited Japan recently, are there any manufacturers under the radar to consider?

More details below. Thanks in advance!

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
210 or 240mm wa gyuto

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
replacing a Global G-2

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics-
The Global is pretty thin with decent balance, which I like. Not a fan of the metal handle though.

Prefer something simple with wa handle. Sanmai is fine, but not interested in anything busy like damascus cladding.

Kurouchi is OK though. But I'm not crazy about the Takeda profile and it's a bit over my budget anyway.

Edge Quality/Retention-
I want a straightforward knife that will be easier to sharper, take a finer edge and have better retention than the Global. Since I will be sharing the knife, I want to avoid anything hard with a tendency to chip though.

Ease of Use-
I'm open to buying carbon, as long as it isn't a real rust magnet. Maybe aogami or aogami super, for instance.

Comfort-
really like the feel of an octagonal wa handle, rounded spine preferred

What grip do you use?
pinch grip, BUT need a knife that is comfortable for my wife who does not

What kind of cutting motion do you use?
mix of push and slicing, so a flatter profile is fine for both of us

Where do you store them?
drawer with blade guard

Have you ever oiled a handle?
no, but I want a wa handle, so I'm happy to learn

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?
mainly wood boards, poly for meats and fish

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
have used honing rod in the past, but am learning about stropping now

Have they ever been sharpened?
Yes, on waterstones, but I'm no expert.

I have a basic combo stone now, but plan to get a pair of stones for the new knife. Probably Bester 1200 and Suehiro 5000 or Arashiyama 6000

What is your budget?
up to about 20,000 yen

What do you cook and how often?
I cook almost every day. Wide variety of foods: Japanese, of course, plus Italian, Thai, Indian... Lots of vegetables and more meat than fish.

If you are looking for a nice workhorse gyuto that is thin enough to almost be a lazer, then I would recommend a Fujiwara Teraysu Nashiji Gyuto. I use one and it is my absolute favorite knife to use on the line at work. It has a white #1 core, so it takes a very sharp edge and it is clad in stainless so it has decent durability, it is also extremely light. According to Fujiawar Teruyasu's site, a 210 will cost you 17850 yen.

Interesting thank you for the recommendation. I should find time to visit them in Tokyo. I actually looked at the Fujiwara site recently, but it looked like the Nashiji line had western handles, not wa. Is wa also an option?

The one I have is a wa and it came that way when I ordered it.

Man buy a Shigefusa! You might be able to swing by and check out their workspace. I'd kill to have an experience like that.

Sorry to derail a little, but out of curiosity snowbrother, did you order your gyuto direct from Terurasu's website or through a vendor?

Cheers,
Josh

El Pescador - A Shigefusa is definitely beyond my budget right now, unfortunately. Maybe some day! Sanjo City is pretty far away, but I'd love to visit.

snowbrother - Thanks, I'll have to check with Fujiwara about wa handle options and pricing here in Japan.

Back