FOR SALE... Kamagata Nakiri/cleaver clone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
Here is a piece I started working on some time ago. I asked Jon if he could help me name it. His response wa "Call it a Kamagata Nakiri" So there you have it. Its an idea I had last year, thinking it would be a crossover between a cleaver and a nakiri.

Ok specs:
Blade is Alabama Damascus "Buckshot" pattern @ HRC 60-61
230 mm on the edge
70 mm high
2.5 mm spine
distal taper, slight convex grind. Blade edge is flat for about 120 mm in the center, and the toe and tip are raised between 2-3 mm.

Handle:
Faux ivory, black G10 on either side of a turquoise spacer and dyed stabilized birds eye maple.

Asking $650

Even if you aren't interested in purchasing it, I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

This is psychedelic! It also looks like it would fit large hands comfortably. I have large hands.

very tempting......I love everything about this Nakiri/cleaver except Faux ivory:(....danmm!! you should used real ivory!!!

Looks great Pierre, if I hadn't bought one of Randy's not too long ago, I would be all over this one.

Lovely..

My kind of knife definitely..
Length 230mm
Weight ?
Balance point?
length of handle?

Now pondering whether the norm/ standard for cleavers or Nakiri is 230cm in length. Will look it up.

rgds
d

Wow. Not a Damascus guy, but if I had 650, in a second!!!

Passaround before sale, lol!!

Weight... IDK, I don't have a scale...
Balance point is 30 mm in front of the heel
Handle is 135 mm long

Typical cleaver is around 220 mm

That thing is friggin gorgeous!! Love the combination.

Damnit, I hate it when I miss these things due to work... Oh yeah, I love it!

Awesome, Pierre! Congrats to you and the buyer.

The fish reminds me of one Fish did on, I believe, a Takeda cleaver(?).

OFFICIALLY SOLD

Thanks KKF, I appreciate it! Also thanks for the comments. I'm glad you liked it!!

Pierre, I love the concept of this knife. I love the kamagata style usuba most, but turning it into a nakiri is killer. It's something that has been rattling around in my brain for a while now. It's nice to see it done, and done so well. I hope I could have something just like this in the near future. I would love to see a passaround or even just a few experiments in this style.
Beautiful handle and damascus BTW as well.

Pierre what were your thoughts on the Alabama Damascus steel?

Latest posts

Back