Rehandle # 2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThEoRy

Founding Member
Reaction score
This time I completed the Misono Swedish Hankotsu I got from Salty quite a while back.

Look Ma! New shoes!!

IMG_20130430_231539.jpgIMG_20130430_231555.jpgIMG_20130430_231606.jpgIMG_20130430_231615.jpgIMG_20130430_231624.jpgIMG_20130430_231644.jpgIMG_20130430_231657.jpgIMG_20130430_231708.jpgIMG_20130430_231739.jpg

Not perfect but nothing handmade will ever be. Yet still an improvement over the stock handle and I feel it came out better than the last one. So progress is good too right? Also, I was able to track the wood type down from Craig Stevens it's some beautiful elm burl that came out quite nicely. What do y'all think?

I like it Rick, you're definitely making progress with big steps, keep it up! :)

I like the look of the handles. The liners remind me of Dave's re-handles. That's a lot of extra work to get in that contrast. Is that the same G-10? I hope to one day be able to do something like this. It looks like a great re-handle.

I like the look of the handles. The liners remind me of Dave's re-handles. That's a lot of extra work to get in that contrast. Is that the same G-10? I hope to one day be able to do something like this. It looks like a great re-handle.

I definitely studied Dave's handle to achieve the same liner look. Whether I actually executed it the same as him, I surely doubt it. I found out it's not G-10 but simply called "fiber" liner material from Jantz. Whatever that means. I just hope this puppy stays together now.

Lookin good. One more step forward and there's no looking back. Knife making has no known cure.

Good luck

Hoss

Thanks Hoss!!

Oh I almost forgot, I recorded the whole process so I can edit the footage for a video tutorial of sorts.

Tojiro Yo-Deba. Then maaaaaybe wa.

Awesome. Great job on the handle. And I love the burl choice. I scored a couple sets of this stuff and have not tried any of it yet. Thanks for sharing. Devin is right. Theres no known cure for the addiction!

Thanks Hoss!!

Oh I almost forgot, I recorded the whole process so I can edit the footage for a video tutorial of sorts.

Cannot wait to watch this. I can imagine it feels great to do it yourself.

Great job and beautiful burl...I think I need some Elm Burl!

Nice job Theory, maybe I missed it but what are you using to shape the handle?

wow that's a stunner. bet it will look even better when its cutting up dead animals!

Cool, as I posted on your FB thread. Never had any elm burl like that, great piece of wood and a nice knife!

Stefan

Great work. If you want to learn how to make sayas to complement your handles, I will be happy to help.

Looks good Rick, that's a really nice piece of wood.

Thumbs up, dude! The mosaic pins and the heavy burl look wicked together.
Can I be first on your list? lol

Back