Heiji vs Kato

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzer

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been covered before, but I am looking at these two makers and was wondering the relative strengths and weaknesses. I would probably go with the Heiji semi-stainless, so obviously reactivity would be different. This is for gyutos...

The Kato is very nonreactive, or at least mine is.
I can't comment about steel for Heiji, Kato has excellent HT and edge retention IMO.

I've never used either, but they're quite different aren't they? The Heiji have those wide bevels which make sharpening simple, and so different geometry. How does a Kato sharpen up in comparison? My impression is both are on the heavier side for gyuto, too, but are Heiji maybe a bit lighter? Heiji's going to be cheaper, though, which is good. Interested to hear from anyone who's tried both.

I don't have a kato so I can't compare, but I will say that I'd put Haji as one of the top 5 ( if not top 3) makers that I know. I haven't used another yanagi as a day to day knife ever since, it the only SS steel that feels like carbon to me IMHO. Regarding it restiveness I like the way it reacts a lot! Gets the coolest patina almost immediately!
fde91f28.png

I have a Heiji (270) and have used a Kato 270 (thanks Ben), they're different beasts but both extremely good cutters. I have the semi stainless and agree that it patinates quickly and nicely--wish carbon would react so consistently and so quickly:scratchhead: The Kato is much thicker overall and behind the edge, but makes up for it with some sort of hoodoo voodoo. The Heiji is much thinner behind the edge. Profiles are actually quite similar. My Heiji is ~280 and the Kato I believe was closer to 270. Both are fairly thick overall, but wedging is surprisingly minimal for the thickness on either knife. Believe the Kato was likely quite a bit heavier though I didn't weigh either knife--the Heiji is quite hefty as well. Both will require considerable thinning to maintain geometry, but think the Kato likely would required it more and more often. The Heiji does have wider bevels, but not so sure this makes it easier to sharpen--actually I would suggest that it is more of a challenge for some folks like me to maintain the original geometry--but that might just be me.:newhere: The steel feels and sharpens up as easily as carbon which is a first for me with any form of stainless.

Did I mention that I love my Heiji? I also really enjoyed the go round with the Kato...two different but excellent knives. Be curious what others who have used both have to say.

Cheers!

Back