Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leather Restoration?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
    FWIW you can get small bottles of Neatsfoot oil in the shoe department @ wally world etc. You might also try smearing with Bear Grease and gently melting it in with a blow dryer or Mink oil.
    Mink oil will darken the leather and make it a little waxy, that sad I love the smell of mink oil, could use the stuff as cologne, but that might be a little weird.
    I've never tryed bear grease, but if its Actually grease or fat from a bear and not jut a name I could see it too changing the lethere consistence. Oils are Introduced into the Leather durning its tanning process and it's best not to mess with it unless you are trying to change things. bring dry leather back to "new like" should be done with subtle conditioners.

I'm with Colin on this one, 100%.

As an aside, my soccer shoes got rubbed down with dubbin, once a week (playing 7-10 per week takes it's toll). I remember hating the smell of that stuff at the start, and then learned to love the bacon grease scent. You can always tell a player who uses dubbin, or a team that does, because they have actual boot bags (for their cleats), as well as their travel and training bags.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

The one I'm most cautious with is Neatsfoot. With thin oils it's easy to apply too much, too fast. Especially on dry or brittle leather.
    AFAIK both Bear Grease and Mink oil are blends with silicone and lonoline. I've brought back some very old sheaths with mink oil. Bear grease is da bomb for keeping the shi* kickers in shape or sealing sewn seams. I do recall the finish on one piece turning a bit waxy but I think I was overly aggresive melting the product into the leather.