Quantcast
Who wears a neck knife?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who wears a neck knife?

Who wears a neck knife?

I'm curious - I use an assisted opener for my EDC, but sometimes getting it off my belt is more time consuming than it should be. For lift and tall ladder work I wear a neck knife. I've acquired several with 5.11 boot purchases and the "boot knife" can be rigged for a "neck knife". If I'm rigging, or just cutting old rigging away and hanging on with one hand I like the idea of going for the chest as opposed to the belt.

Anyone else wear one for job specific or just a convenience or even a cool factor?

Believe me I'd like to get a fitted kydex sheath made for one of my Del parers - I think they'd make excellent neck knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9 View Post
    Believe me I'd like to get a fitted kydex sheath made for one of my Del parers - I think they'd make excellent neck knives.
    I'd be interested in the same.

DIY! They're simple if you can locate kydex. If not, I know a guy named Randy who......
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I used a Carter necker as my EDC (at least until Mr. Rader sends me another package...) but I carry it in my pocket. This came from years of having issues with folders and the challenges they present when uses in precarious, 1-handed situations or when worn with dress pants in not particular knife-friendly settings.
    I hitch the lanyard to my belt and hang the sheath and knife down into my pocket. It pretty much solves the retention issue / having a clipping knife accidentally fall off your belt or out of your pocket and is very fast and easy to deploy. If you're in a spot where reaching into your pocket is awkward, or you're needing to access it frequently, you can just pull it out using the lanyard and let it hang at your side.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Easier to understand in video:

I bet one of HHH's new parring knives would work pretty well too.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

I have carter neck knife but rarely use it because it is uncomfortable to wear. In addition paracord is pertty dangerous around the neck.
    I just find that a good Sabenza or Paramilitary 2, deployable in 2 to 3 seconds, is much more viable for EDC.

But I think a kydex sheath in the style of HHH's falcon might actually be pretty handy.
    If only putting the blade back into the sheath was as fast and pulling it out.

Randy and I made a couple badass little neckers when I went to see him, and they're great little knives. But, after I nicked myself, pulling the knife out, or putting it back in, for the fifth time, it got relegated to mail duty. I still love that little knife, too, dammit.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Everyone I know who had a kydex sheath (just 3 people) for their neck knife eventually replaced it with leather.
    The kydex tends to scratch the blade. ...and it feels like plastic against your skin.
    I know I am generalizing and inflicting my opinion on you.
    A wet formed leather sheath holds the knife in place and looks better than riveted plastic in my opinion.

Here are my neckers
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

That "talon" design of randy's is really clever. He's an innovative dude.
    I don't really care about a few scratches on my EDC blade, because it's going to get plenty just from using it. Leather sure is pretty, but I really like that positive "click" of kydex or cf and the way I carry it, it never comes in contact with my skin. When it comes to edc stuff be it guns or knives I alway take function over looks. Not to say that leather isn't functional, I guess it's just not for me in that application.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9 View Post
    I'm curious - I use an assisted opener for my EDC, but sometimes getting it off my belt is more time consuming than it should be. For lift and tall ladder work I wear a neck knife. I've acquired several with 5.11 boot purchases and the "boot knife" can be rigged for a "neck knife". If I'm rigging, or just cutting old rigging away and hanging on with one hand I like the idea of going for the chest as opposed to the belt.

Anyone else wear one for job specific or just a convenience or even a cool factor?

I think we might be in the same line of work.

I have really been looking for a neck knife lately. Who could make one for me or where should I look for something decent at a cost I won't feel bad about abusing?