• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: Ashi Hamono Cleaver

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainaman

Founding Member
Reaction score
The cleaver is made to my specification by Ashi Hamono as I ordered it trough Blueway Japan.
White#2 ,
210mmx110mm (above heel)/105mm (above toe)
2.2mm spine above heel
1.1mm spine above toe
400g weight, no flex in the blade.
I wanted the cleaver to be a bit lighter than the standard #6 for ease of use, but still not be so light it will not work as cleavers are supposed to.
Still has the protective coating on most of the blade, where the coating came off you can see patina formed.
The grind is very good, and the steel is heat treated excellently. Takes great edge, and holds it well.
This is a veggie slicer, it can be used for meats, but obviously will not cut bones.
The cleaver has seen little use, I never got around to make a solid knife block to accommodate a cleaver.
The kanji is engraved not stamped.

PRICE= $230 shipped in US. International buyers pay actual postage fees.

vgj2tv.jpg

au7e5j.jpg

24g0dp0.jpg

315lnr8.jpg

hrfndh.jpg

If this is still around when I get home from work I may have to pull the trigger..

Good steel, great heat treat, outstanding fit and finish, and made to order. Approx $300 for a high end Non-custom Chinese cleaver is to be expected.

Just thinking: these days everything's made in China and this style of knife originates from China, and so doubly ironic how the best Chinese cleavers most probably are not made in China.

why the cleaver is so expensive?
compare between made in China & made in Japan Cleaver....fit and finish, quality control & mostly "labor"

2010 Asia hourly manufacturing compensation rate costs:
HK $24
China $7
Japan $85
Korea $62
Philippines $4
Singapore $36
Taiwan $27

why the cleaver is so expensive?
Depends on the buyer and what they consider expensive to be.
This one compared to Takeda cleaver, or Tadatsuna, or Mizuno, or Hatori, is cheap.
This cleaver was made by my custom specifications, and flawless fit and finish, for that money it is cheap.
As you see when you say expensive or cheap you have to take into account what the item is and how it was made and all those things, it is not just the price tag.

Depends on the buyer and what they consider expensive to be.
This one compared to Takeda cleaver, or Tadatsuna, or Mizuno, or Hatori, is cheap.
This cleaver was made by my custom specifications, and flawless fit and finish, for that money it is cheap.
As you see when you say expensive or cheap you have to take into account what the item is and how it was made and all those things, it is not just the price tag.
understand

Back