Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: forced patina on shigefusa?

Fish brings out blues and purples! I wish someone would post a video though, some of you guys get really nice faux patinas more of let glut happen guy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    Prepare yourself for wailing and gnashing of the teeth from the purists!

I put a mustard finish on my ajikiri and have been really happy with it--enough that I'm planning to do my gyuto in my copious spare time. Didn't get a lot of blue, but there is some blue when the light hits it right--more of a silvery/grey textured effect. Knife doesn't stink so much now when used.

Beautiful! Could you tell us what you did to get that pattern?

for patina-free & minimise food reactive- I rinse blade with hot water before & after used it, then polish with Daikon and wa powder or baking soda.
    for blue / purple patina- I use hot pork fat....
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Hi guys, thanks very much for your comments and suggestions! being in australia and thanks to the time difference, its sometimes hard to reply in time. sorry.

Lucretia's pattern is very impressive, I wonder how you achieved such pattern? Almost like a damuscus patina

thanks for lefty and chef niloc for the tips, i will see if i can find cow/pig blood today and i don't often see them here down under, but will definitely give red bell pepper a try. I am thinking usaba for red bell pepper and gyuto for mustard / protein way. Will leave the slicer for now as some of you suggested, and because it will be cutting fish, it should be able to form a natural blue / purple patina.

Thanks again guys, heading to the supermarket and will report back

James

How cool. We have another Shig hoarder here in Australia.

Cured meat seems to work well for blues and purples, too. There are never enough excuses to eat prosciutto, anyway. For just getting something protective on there, hot vinegar works very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by pkjames View Post
    Lucretia's pattern is very impressive, I wonder how you achieved such pattern? Almost like a damuscus patina
    If I had to guess I would say it was applied using bubble wrap

So, had a bit of fun this morning.

First, for the usaba. I started with red bell pepper, chopping, applying juice and buried the knife in to the slices. The steel is very reactive to it but formed more like a darker patina. I thought it was quite nice but decided to play around a bit more, so I applied a bit of mustard / vinegar mixture and even wrapped it into bubble wrap.

The end result is quite "confronting"
    I guess it is vastly different from what it use to like, I am fine with it, but may take another go later on

original state

the fun begins

end result

For the gyuto, i took a safer approach.

Just go through warm chicken breast with a bit of mustard in the mix (not having read meat today). The patina developed a lot slower, but it is a very even layer of subtle blue and purple patina.
    so I guess with a bit of red meat out of oven, it will be pretty nice!

original state

processing!

after about 40 minutes playing around

That's a beautiful knife. I am an all natural patina guy so I like it to build character as I use it. But I have to say I like what you did.