Damasteel Pettys

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Pierre sent two of his Damasteel pettys to me to sell (yeh - lucky me!) and he asked that I sharpen them, not that they needed it, so that I could provide him with any information on this new steel worked compared with what I've seen.

attachment.php

I did find a couple of things interesting and noteworthy....

The first thing I noticed is how abrasion resistant this stuff is, on par with the Japanese AS steel, but not as bad as some of the Japanese high end stainless stuff. Enough that I had to break out my more serious steel removing stones and they didn't move it all that quickly.

The second thing, a bit more interesting for sure, is that the burr/wire simply snapped off like nothing I've seen on a knife before. Both knives left a wire lying on the strop.

I'm not saying that any of this is bad, it's simply what I noticed, and Pierre asked that I share this with the forum.

Dave

Picture1596.jpg

The second thing, a bit more interesting for sure, is that the burr/wire simply snapped off like nothing I've seen on a knife before. Both knives left a wire lying on the strop.

Wow, that is something I haven't seen before. Have you ever seen that before Dave? If these are that resistant, and being pettys that are used mostly in hand, you might have to sharpen them once a year or less.

Some body please post a review on the damasteel.

Some body please post a review on the damasteel.

Think really dense, more pleasing vg10, with what seems to be better edge retention. It seems to give you piece of mind, where as I always worry about chipping with vg10. That's what I thought anyways.

Think really dense, more pleasing vg10, with what seems to be better edge retention. It seems to give you piece of mind, where as I always worry about chipping with vg10. That's what I thought anyways.

Just curious, why do you worry about chipping with vg10?

The funny thing is I haven't chipped it, but on the board, I feel like it will chip, if that makes any sense.
I think it has to do with the feeling it sends to my hands at the bottom of my cuts (seriously).
It's always given me the feeling of a piece of broken glass on concrete.
I guess that, and that sometimes vg10 just is chippy at the start.

I have always heard of VG-10 being chippy, but have never had any issue with my VG-10 knives.

In terms of the Damasteel, it has not seen much board action, and probably never will being a paring knife, but so far I cannot even compare it to VG-10.

The paring is SUPER thin, almost too thin, it has alot of flex which I am still getting used to, but this may be an advantage. I have only used it a few time since I just received it last night, but can post my perceptions in a week or so.

Asestically, the knife is beautiful, Pierre has gone above and beyond in craftsmanship.

:viking:

Back