Quantcast
Blue Crabs this weekend - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blue Crabs this weekend

Any kind of compound butter works well. The crabs down here are just starting to moult, last year we had a really long softy season, well into July. If your blues are big enough to pick for lump meat you can make a crab cream with the bodies and fold in the lump and cheese at the end and make a great gratin. Or make a soup with brandy and cream. You get a lot of crabby bang for your buck making soups and sauces with the bodies of picked blues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmnms View Post
    Anybody do garlic crabs?. We used to sell almost as much as old bay steamed. Steamed, cleaned, throw'm in a pot of house garlic butter.
    Now were cookin with peanut oil. Garlic crabs are the bees knees. I used to catch them, remove the meat, sautee in butter and make pasta sauce. The fresh crab with make the sweetest tomato sauce.

Ever tried a crab meat and garlic chives omelette? Fantastic combo. Lightly sear the crab meat, chives added just before the omelette sets.

there's no better way than the beer and old bay steam method, seriously. you could chop em up and stir fry with a chinese sauce but still not better than the old bay method.

I'm still thinkin bout that crab cream and brandied soups. Do you ship?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dardeau View Post
    Any kind of compound butter works well. The crabs down here are just starting to moult, last year we had a really long softy season, well into July. If your blues are big enough to pick for lump meat you can make a crab cream with the bodies and fold in the lump and cheese at the end and make a great gratin. Or make a soup with brandy and cream. You get a lot of crabby bang for your buck making soups and sauces with the bodies of picked blues.

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    I don't know about the males being preferable. I know a lot of Asian cultures prefer the females because of the eggs.
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Look at the undercarriage. If the undercarriage flap is wide, it's a female; (eggs are held under the wide flap). If it's narrow, it's a male.
    I don't know about the males being preferable. I know a lot of Asian cultures prefer the females because of the eggs.

FWIW, I've been told that for breeding purposes it's more responsible to eat male crabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambal View Post
    FWIW, I've been told that for breeding purposes it's more responsible to eat male crabs.
    Here in the Maryland/VA bay area, females are restricted, only aloud to harvest a certain number a year.

Call me we wield, but I don't really like the females sweeter taste, Maybe it's because off all the males I've ate over the years as a child.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Yes, but the roe/eggs on the female crabs are fantastic in texture and flavour.

How about the "mustard"? I have heard that it's risky eating this because of possible toxins from the environment. Anyone know if this is true?