Quantcast
Blue Crabs this weekend - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Crabs this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    thanks for everybodys feedback. I think I'm going to try the butter/ginger wok fry technique. thats a new one. sounds good, maybe a little crushed red pepper and some shaoling wine too?
    I don't know about the Shaoxing wine. It tends to be strong and may overpower the crab. When I make Chinese chicken soup, for 1 quart of soup, I use only one capful of Shaoxing wine.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

good tip MhLee!

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Yea I'm probably overthinking the issue. Trying to engineer a better mouse trap. I always have to things the hard way. Do the Chinese/japanese eat Crabs? I bet there's a Vietnimese recipe out there/

Whats the deal with fried Hard-Crab. I'm originally from Boston and thats a new one to me? Is it just like frying chicken?
    She would pull the top shell off while still alive. Remove the lungs and mouthparts, and save all the yummy mustard. Fill with a crab cake, put the top shell back on, as make a beer batter with natty boh and the mustard, and deep fry, she'll and all. Simply amazing. It was quite popular among the Baltimore German population when he was growing up. But being 80 now, she can't do it anymore. I've tried many many times with her guidence, but they never turn out the same. She blames it on Boh not being made in Baltimore anymore, lol.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

My grandparents had a house at the Joisey Shore. My sisters and I spent many, many hours crabbing at the dock across the street. I never saw or heard of Old Bay until I was out of college, and I still find it kinda odd. My grandmother would clean the crabs before cooking, like Jmadams13 described. Once they were cooked, the meat was right there for the taking with little cleaning required at the table. Most dipped the crab meat in butter or vinegar. Much better way to eat crabs, in my opinion; why screw around with cleaning at the table?

Still do a yearly weekend gathering with college buddies at friends house in Easton, MD on the bay, and part of the ritual is day drinking, bbq, pool, dip in bay, and a bushel of crabs alongside other grilled goodies, corn, etc. Also Binkerts sausage. Any locals ever try Binkerts in Baltimore? Unquestionably the best sausage I have ever had in my life.

We always go with steamed crabs - bought live, MD style (duh). Steam (don't boil) in cheap beer, old bay, salt water, bunch of bay leaves, and lemon for exactly 23 minutes for perfection. We always do a layer of live crabs, cover with old bay, layer of crabs, more old bay, etc.

And then sit and eat and drink for hours. God, I can't wait. Crabs are the best! Softies should be running very soon in DMV bay area.

Binkerts is the ****!

I agree, the best part to a bushel is sitting around drinking and talking the day away with family a freinds. We do it about once a month in the summer. Surprisingly the eat MD style steamed crabs I've had are at a local spot here in in Hanover PA. Lots of Baltimore and md transplants, so it makes sense.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

This thread has me thinking of a Baltimore/MD KKF gathering, over a few pitchers and a bushel... Hmmm. We can make it happen

Females are better for the eggs

Jmadams, sounds good! I'll bring my crab knife!

Anybody do garlic crabs?. We used to sell almost as much as old bay steamed. Steamed, cleaned, throw'm in a pot of house garlic butter.