Quantcast
Looking for workhorse gyuto, stainless - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for workhorse gyuto, stainless

+1 for semi-stainless Gengetsu. I just brought one few weeks ago & able done few comparison test with my other gyuto last week. I'm very impress Gengetsu's performance, it easy become one of my top 5 all-around gyuto!!
    here is few pictures you can check Gengetsu's profile & geometry.....
    bottom-Gengetsu

right side-Gengetsu

Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

That Yoshikane SLD gyuto is also really good and very thin behind the edge. I'm very happy with mine, though I might be a bit hesitant to go through a crab with it. If the kurouchi damascus finish is too pricey, aframes has a normal clad version that is in the 2-300 range.

Quote Originally Posted by bamin View Post
    That Yoshikane SLD gyuto is also really good and very thin behind the edge. I'm very happy with mine, though I might be a bit hesitant to go through a crab with it. If the kurouchi Damascus finish is too pricey, aframes has a normal clad version that is in the 2-300 range.
    Yoshikane SLD kurouchi Damascus actually have better F/F, thinner behind the edge & feel slightly better edge retention than Gengetsu!! I recommend Gengetsu not Yoshikane because Mark76 looking for semi-stainless gyuto with better value.......
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    Yoshikane SLD kurouchi Damascus actually have better F/F, thinner behind the edge & feel slightly better edge retention than Gengetsu!! I recommend Gengetsu not Yoshikane because Mark76 looking for semi-stainless gyuto with better value.......
    Yeah, they are definitely expensive, but I saw on Aframes that there is a version from Yoshikane without the kurouchi or damascus that is priced at $239, so cheaper than the Gengetsu. It's odd though that Aframes has that style, I remember Maksim once saying that Tsuneo Yoshida did not/could not/would not make them without the kurouchi damascus.

Here is the link:

http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.ya...ade-kn240.html

Though, it seems that they are sold out at the moment, but for that matter so are the Gengetsu...

I should've suggested something trendier
    -Matt

Not exactly a Gyuto, but really could be used to take down small trees. Mike Davis Deba

Name:  P1040380_zps3c8f6e84.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  10.6 KB

Name:  MikeDavisDebacrosssection.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  14.1 KB
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away you silly man or I shall taunt you a second time!

Hmmmm I don't really want to wish a hurting on anyone but wouldn't the Aritsugu A-type be a good fit here?
    Don't touch my d!ck. Dont touch my knife. ~ Anthony Bourdain ~

+ Reply to Thread