Looking for workhorse gyuto, stainless

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark76

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for a 240mm gyuto. I have a 210 mm laser gyuto (Suisin Inox Honyaki). I would like my 240 mm knife to be a workhorse. For me that means sturdy, able to do heavier work than a laser. But still, I'd like it to be thin behind the edge and *almost* cut like a laser.

It should also be stainless. Semi-stainless (like Konosuke HD) is ok with me, but I'm not looking for a carbon knife in stainless cladding. (I know, that reduces my options.)

What would be your recommendations?

Thanks!

Carbonext, for sure. Great value, excellent semi-stainless knife.

What do you consider "heavier" work?

Also, do you have a certain price point? Western vs. Wa handle? Lefty? Righty?

I'm currently borrowing a Gesshin Uraku 240 Wa Gyuto from a friend. It's certainly sturdier than a laser, and cuts a little better than the CarboNext, is thinner than the CarboNext and is lighter and more well balanced. I can't attest as to edge retention or sharpenability, but it seems to be good as to both aspects. I'd say it cuts close to how the Suisin Inox Western cuts - cuts well, slight resistance, some stiction, but a solid, well performing knife.

I understand the need for a heavier gyuto but you would be very surprised how much that suisin can handle. That being said I would check out the gesshin uraku line at Japanese knife imports. A friend of mine has the 240 gyuto and he is in love with it.

Mark how much are you willing to spend? I would agree with the Gengetsu.

That Rodrigue would have been perfect.

My vote goes to Blazen. Not thin, but not too thick and great edge retention. F&F has been great on the 4 that I've had. And it's one of the few western-handled gyutos that comes with a saya - and a nice one to boot.

good workhorse you could consider a kochi, hattori, or kanehiro. those knives have served me wellllllllllllllll

Thanks guys! I'll answer some questions.

What do you consider "heavier" work?
Well, for example, I wouldn't dare to use my Suisin Inox Honyaki to go through chicken bones. Or to open up a crab. I'd like my workhorse knife to be able to do this.

Also, do you have a certain price point? Western vs. Wa handle? Lefty? Righty?
No preference for Western or Wa handles. I'm right handed, but all knives I have are even-beveled. No problem with uneven bevels for a right-handed person.

I understand the need for a heavier gyuto but you would be very surprised how much that suisin can handle.
Tell me. What can it do that I don't know? :running: Should I try the chicken joint?

Mark how much are you willing to spend?
I'm looking for a very good knife, so I'm prepared to pay for that. Say, about as much as for the Suisin, that's about $350. Cheaper is better, of course :) (but quality goes over price in this case).

Thanks guys! I'll answer some questions.

Well, for example, I wouldn't dare to use my Suisin Inox Honyaki to go through chicken bones. Or to open up a crab. I'd like my workhorse knife to be able to do this.

Just get a beater knife for things like that, you'll mess up pretty much any knife doing that. I wouldn't recommend trying a chicken joint with your Suisin either. The Carbonext isn't bad, it's thin behind the edge but not flexy and it's also dead cheap

Thanks for the recommendations. I guess Gengetsu is no. 1 here. However, I'm not looking for stainless clad carbon. So how great the Gengetsu is, not an option for me in this case. Any alternatives?

Not quite. The Gengetsu comes in stainless clad white #2 or stainless clad semi stainless steel. There is still a core steel, but it is not very reactive.

Also, +1 to the semi stainless Gengetsu.

And +1 to getting a Forschner or something for hacking up crabs. I will use almost any knife to cut up chickens though. Are you cutting bone or just through joints?

No, just joints. I'm really looking for a workhorse gyuto. If I need to do truely heavy work, I've got some German beater knives.

+1 for semi-stainless Gengetsu. I just brought one few weeks ago & able done few comparison test with my other gyuto last week. I'm very impress Gengetsu's performance, it easy become one of my top 5 all-around gyuto!!
here is few pictures you can check Gengetsu's profile & geometry.....
bottom-Gengetsu

right side-Gengetsu

That Yoshikane SLD gyuto is also really good and very thin behind the edge. I'm very happy with mine, though I might be a bit hesitant to go through a crab with it. If the kurouchi damascus finish is too pricey, aframes has a normal clad version that is in the 2-300 range.

That Yoshikane SLD gyuto is also really good and very thin behind the edge. I'm very happy with mine, though I might be a bit hesitant to go through a crab with it. If the kurouchi Damascus finish is too pricey, aframes has a normal clad version that is in the 2-300 range.

Yoshikane SLD kurouchi Damascus actually have better F/F, thinner behind the edge & feel slightly better edge retention than Gengetsu!! I recommend Gengetsu not Yoshikane because Mark76 looking for semi-stainless gyuto with better value.......

Yoshikane SLD kurouchi Damascus actually have better F/F, thinner behind the edge & feel slightly better edge retention than Gengetsu!! I recommend Gengetsu not Yoshikane because Mark76 looking for semi-stainless gyuto with better value.......

Yeah, they are definitely expensive, but I saw on Aframes that there is a version from Yoshikane without the kurouchi or damascus that is priced at $239, so cheaper than the Gengetsu. It's odd though that Aframes has that style, I remember Maksim once saying that Tsuneo Yoshida did not/could not/would not make them without the kurouchi damascus.

Here is the link:

http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.yahoo.net/yoshikane-wa-gyuto-240mm-sld-sanmai-uchi-blade-kn240.html

Though, it seems that they are sold out at the moment, but for that matter so are the Gengetsu...

I should've suggested something trendier :sad0: :razz:

Not exactly a Gyuto, but really could be used to take down small trees. Mike Davis Deba :lol2:

P1040380_zps3c8f6e84.jpg

MikeDavisDebacrosssection.jpg

Hmmmm I don't really want to wish a hurting on anyone but wouldn't the Aritsugu A-type be a good fit here?

Back