Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Complete and utter newbie

Complete and utter newbie

So my fiance and I are registering for our wedding and neither of us know anything about knives. I probably won't end up answering these right...you can tell I'm a newbie. Can you give me some suggestions?

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
    Well, we have nothing except a cheap paring knife...so the utter basics

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
    We have no knives (soon to be newlyweds, never lived on our own)

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
    I don't have any so I'm going to write in general
    Aesthetics-I like "pretty colorful things" (like the New West Knifeworks Fusionworks ones...gorgeous colored handles) but honestly, it doesn't matter.
    Edge Quality/Retention-
    Ease of Use-Easy to use is best?
    Comfort-I don't know.

What grip do you use?
    No idea.

What kind of cutting motion do you use?
    No idea?

Where do you store them?
    We were going to get a block but it depends what fits in the kitchenette we'll have once married.

Have you ever oiled a handle?
    No but I'm sure I could learn! (I'm sure it's not that hard.)

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?
    I'm asking for a wooden one, though I think all we currently have is plastic.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
    My dad always used a honing rod so that's what I'm most familiar with.

Have they ever been sharpened?
    I don't know how to sharpen but I could learn from my dad.

What is your budget?
    Ummm...Under $400 for all? We are registering for them but I don't want people to think we're being "ridiculous", especially since we are both young and neither of us have cooked a ton.

What do you cook and how often?
    I don't know; we'll probably be cooking lots of "cheap stuff" for a while. (Beans, rice, on-sale chicken, veggies/fruits as well). He likes stir fry or anything with soy sauce.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?
    I have teeny teeny hands, about 6" from base to tip, so anything with a ginormous handle is probably not going to work too well.

Thanks! Sorry...like I said, I know diddly squat. He's the chef out of the two of us but a.he also knows nothing about knives and b.I know I'll learn to cook as well. I was looking at the Zwilling JA Henckel (NOT the international!) or a Wustof but I know nothing.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Welcome to the forums.

Oh...I haven't cooked much at all, though I mostly use paring knives. We will also likely be cooking the freeze-it-and-forget-it type meals; slow-cooker meals. I don't know if that is much help but if it is, you all have the info.

I might start by suggesting a nice cutting board from the Boardsmith...he is a vendor on this forum and whatever you choose will look great in your new home and will last forever if you take care of it.

I might also suggest looking around at some of these websites:
    JKI
    Korin
    Epicurean Edge.

All are fun sites to look around and trusted vendors here. Jon at JKI is particularly helpful answering questions from people of all skillsets. I would suggest stainless knives including a shorter gyuto (chef's knife) or maybe a santoku which has a slightly different shape. You could also find a complementary small knife at any of these sites

Cheers and Congratulations!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

With the greatest respect, you're just starting out marrying and don't appear to do much cooking, so to me the obvious choice is a set of poly cutting boards and an 8" Vitronox (Forschner) Fibrox chef's knife (gyuto). The knife has good ergonomics and decent steel, it costs $40, and it will never let you down. It's tons better than those dang Henkels and Wusthofs that all the department stores carry as "nice" knives. Argh!

Yeah, we're not looking for the top top of the line, but something that cuts and works well. Neither of us know anything about knives so I figured this may be a good option to figure out what to get. We will HAVE to cook everything for the next few years as we'll be pretty poor (but hey...we're college students; we'll be poor when it's socially acceptable to be poor and then we'll be used to surviving on a budget!) so we will end up doing a big of cooking, just not anything major.

I just know whatever knife my mom uses to cut the majority of her food scares me. It takes too much pressure for me to cut with it well; does that mean it's too dull or that I'm just a chicken/strength-wise-weak and don't know how to use knives properly?

What knives are the "basic knives"? I know a chef's knife but what's the order from there?

The knife your mom uses likely just needs a good sharpening--realize that all knives will need to be sharpened at a point, but this can be done professionally a couple times a year or you can learn to sharpen and save even more money.

You really only need a couple of knives--2 or 3 unless you want to get into specialty knives. A decent size chef's knife, a paring knife and maybe a bread knife--if your knives stay sharp you really do not need a bread knife, but if you want one there are a few that people really like (see Mac or Tojiro). Most sets are sold to help companies unload unwanted knives to people who don't know better. Browse around and ask questions when you have them.

Cheers
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Check out this store on ebay as well. The vendor is very helpful and the prices are not at all high.

http://stores.ebay.com/BluewayJapan

It is Very Bad Luck to give or recieve a knife as a gift......I hope you are not superstitious I have always make my family give me a dollar when I gave them a knife,as you can guess I am superstitious

I'm going to second what Phip said. Consider getting the Forschner Victorinox Fibrox knives. You can get them in a set with a block which makes a nice wedding gift and will cover all the basic knives. Those knives will serve you well, and if you wish to upgrade in the future you can do it a knife or two at a time and still use the block. I'm in the process of upgrading/adding to my fibrox knives, but they still get plenty of work.

You may also want to consider adding to the set with a a Japanese knife - like a smaller gyuto or santoku -Chinacats gave links to vendors who will help you get something suit you.

And congratulations on you upcoming wedding!