Quantcast
Complete and utter newbie - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Complete and utter newbie

Oh, I know it is non-stick but my fiance is not so certain so I figured enamel would be a good way to ease him in to it. Besides, as we're in the South, I'm sure I can find one at a thrift store or yardsale...it's probably cheaper and more non-stick than new!

Where would I look for the Sabatiers? I just looked some up; does the blade material matter much? What exactly about the euro style finger guard will make sharpening difficult down the road?

We are not out on our own. We will not be until towards the end of June, after we get married as we're both still in college. (Also, we won't "really" be completely out until the end of the summer when we move down to my college. We'll be living right next door to his parents and just a few streets away from mine.) But, when I get "home" for the summer, between now and our wedding, I will be cooking in order to learn.

Aww, thanks! I wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting as it's an area I am completely useless in and the registry was one of my jobs. (He's not much of a shopper.) That would be marvelous but it may be better to wait a week or two if possible. I'm currently still at college and I already don't know how I'm going to fit everything back in two cars to get it home! (I'm an art student so I have more stuff than the normal college student , and truthfully, more than most of my art student friends.) I'll be home in just over a couple weeks; we end later than most. I'm a little afraid they'd arrive here at my college and I'd be gone or they'd arrive at my house without me there, especially since you're in Canada, if I gather correctly. (I've had some things shipped from Canada and the timing is anywhere from a week to two weeks, at least from Saskatchewan, I believe.) Would it be possible to PM me a shipping estimate if you can guess? I'd have to put it in my budget so I know what I have to save this month.

On the steak knives note, would you guys gather that the languiole ones I posted were okay (http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/...are/073587.jsp) or would Forschner ones be better? The art student in me loves color and to be honest, not many good cooking tools are colorful so I take every chance if it works just as well. (Yes, my fiance is okay with the color...most kitchen stuff is not colorful so he gets his way there about 90% of the time. Plus, the chance of us eating steak is none-to-slim for a good while.)

I vote that you go with those steak knives from Anthopologie. They will work just fine, and if you want to add some color to your kitchen tools that's a great way to do it.

The Laguiole site has these in a wooden tray for €12. So you might be able to find them somewhere in the Americas in the tray (block? Box?)

[QUOTE=xuz;204896]I'd take up Lefty's offer in a heartbeat.
    Not just because they are nice knives, but because you know they'll come sharp!!!
    What a generous man.

+1 on taking Lefty up on his offer. Gift from a wise man.

77Kath, where did you find them on their site? I could not find them anywhere else! And, to be honest, if no one buys us anything like that, I'll probably go on ebay; I saw several similar ones on ebay but it's a little tacky to put ebay items on a registry. (It's too bad though...there are such fabulous items there. You know you were raised frugally when you find yourself wishing ebay, Ross, and Marshalls had registries! )

Googled Laguiole knives and got their website. it's on the fourth page, near the bottom. The one without the tray is also there. They are certainly more interesting than my Wustie steak knives.

Odd. I have searched through their website and couldn't find anything! I tried googling it and still, nothing. Is there a link to where you found them? I found some on Amazon as well; there seem to be two levels of quality as some are running $50-$70 where the others, very similar looking, are running $250. I wonder why.

Plus a lot more. They claim to be the official web store. The name of the line seems to be Attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by 77kath View Post
    Googled Laguiole knives and got their website. it's on the fourth page, near the bottom. The one without the tray is also there. They are certainly more interesting than my Wustie steak knives.
    They do not seem to be the same knives.
    http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/...hen/073587.jsp
    http://www.laguiole-attitude.com/en/...-6-knives.html
    http://www.laguiole-attitude.com/en/...ed-knives.html

One says steak knives, the other table knives.
    One has knives with 3 pins, other with 1 pin.

As to which is better, I can't tell you.
    They do look pretty though.

+ Reply to Thread