Pigs, Oysters and Fire!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw2geeks

Founding Member
Reaction score
Went to the Austin Food & Wine Fest again this year. Chef Tim Byres of Smoke in Dallas again roasted some pigs. he also roasted some oysters over 50-gallon drums.

Here are some pics.

1t7iOl.St.117.jpeg

fGNV5.St.117.jpeg

15TSz3.St.117.jpeg

1OhOZ.St.117.jpeg

1tdsdQ.St.117.jpeg

oYlP8.St.117.jpeg

1jwnUh.St.117.jpeg

6sbB8.St.117.jpeg

uqwFG.St.117.jpeg

Chef Byres went through 1,500 oysters, 3 pigs and a bunch of pork butts

More pictures and the oyster recipe here.
http://www.dfw.com/2013/05/03/790244/weekend-chef-pigs-oysters-and.html

Looks like party for sure. I've wanted to try cooking a pig like that every since I picked up a copy of Francis Mallmann's Seven Fires a few years back. Roasted oysters....That brings back fond memories. I haven't bought a bushel and roasted oysters in a loooong time.

Dave

Looks like party for sure. I've wanted to try cooking a pig like that every since I picked up a copy of Francis Mallmann's Seven Fires a few years back. Roasted oysters....That brings back fond memories. I haven't bought a bushel and roasted oysters in a loooong time.

Dave

Chef Byres new cookbook just came out (there is a link to it in the story). In it he has diagrams of his pig setup that he built. It all unscrews apart for transportation.

He also put together this meat & tortilla warmer that sets on top of a 50-galllon drum.

MbPrm.St.117.jpeg

Very Macgyver

good lordie!!

great photos.

i love Austin. i visited a girl there once and stayed for 1.5 years. my mom/family and college were both so disappointed in me. i only got kicked out of one place..hahahah..

Picture 5 just.... Don't even have words to say.... Wow

Looks like a great time. Things like this dont exist around here

Back