Need help on sharpening my knife 4 kinds

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rais3tong

Reaction score
heres the list of my knife
togiharu inox suhijiki 10.5" (2007)
togiharu inox gyutou 9.4" (240)
inox petty 5.9"(150)
togiharu cobalt damascus santoku 6.4" (165)

Please i need helping sharpening 4 of them because i dont know what is the angle for all the knife
this is my first time to buy a knife. in addition, i going to start culinary school soon it would be nice to have knowledge about knife

thank you so much.

@mainaman
thank you the information is really good but i'm still confuse in the video it says for gyuto its 60/40 but the some of the famous chef i know he told me 80/20 or 70/30 i can't remember

in the video when hes sharpening a knife what does it seem flat its not like 60/40 in the video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW_sAqpVmug

thank you

In the video it says that gyuto would be 60/40 but in the vid it doesn't look like he's sharpening a 60/40 , in addition some of the chef i know he told be its 80/20 or 70/30 i forgot

I'm confuse now ..
so how do you go like 60/40? i'm blank here

In the video it says that gyuto would be 60/40 but in the vid it doesn't look like he's sharpening a 60/40 , in addition some of the chef i know he told be its 80/20 or 70/30 i forgot

I'm confuse now ..
so how do you go like 60/40? i'm blank here
Each knife sharpens differently, that is why I said follow the bevels on yours.
The videos are meant to show technique more than explaining what 70/30 is and whether it should be 60/40 instead. In time you will figure out what angles work best for you and the knives, and it will not matter what exactly the numbers are, it will be irrelevant. Just look at how the knife is held how to move it on the stone , the rest you will figure out with practice.

Back