Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Foodies that post bad review and don't know what there talking about?

Also, not all reviews are posted. If you have an established history of reviews you're more likely to have one published. Which just reinforces the douche bags ego. I don't read the crap but my daughter does.

We had a recent review where the dude gave us a thumbs down. Out of everything served to that four top he didn't like his T-bone. "he only liked half of the steak and didn't like the rest". Hello! Order the filet! Everything else was good. The kicker is one of the couples at the table were in again the next weekend? After reading the review we figured out who the server was, what night they were in and what table they sat at. Looked up their order, looked at the times each course was fired, checked credit card transaction (20% tip) and reservation. We know who they are. We try and track all of our reviewers.

big brother is watching

...and he has a lot of very sharp knives.

Welcome to the democratization of the media. You no longer have to have any training as a writer or any expertise in the topics about which you write. The only requirements for entry: ego and a computer.

I agree with everything being written, and I'm not a food pro. My only real professional food experience was retail seafood for a couple of years, but, during that time, I literally cut and sold tons of seafood. I got to cut, handle, sell, and, especially, eat some really amazing seafood, including a lot of sashimi grade stuff like Boston Bluefin, Washington Mirugai, Santa Barbara Uni, California Halibut and Albacore, as well as a ton of California King Salmon, Dungeness Crab, Ling Cod, Rock Cod, etc.

So, now, when I see a sushi bar review with crap like "my favorite is salmon", the fish "melts in your mouth", "I love the spicy mayo sauce", I just laugh. I think to myself, "You super douchey people have never gone fishing, gutted a fish, or even bothered to get your manicured fingers within anything remotely close to a whole fish, never gone to Japan or read anything serious about sushi, and probably will never cut a really nice piece of fish in your life. Shut up."

I used to Yelp to give props to my favorite restaurants. Now, I don't bother. I'd rather not have more people go to my favorite restaurants because they read my Yelp review and then give a middle of the road review because they don't know *** they're talking about. I don't want the ignorance of a reviewer to hurt the reputation of a restaurant I like.

Likewise, I really only feel comfortable talking about things I have personal knowledge of (or personally researched and taken the time to learn), but like a number of members have pointed out, "foodies" who have just a little knowledge, think they have to right to spout off like they're experts. Kind of like people who watch Law & Order and think they know enough about the law to question what a real lawyer would do.

Personally, I don't even like using the word "foodie." Most "foodies" I know don't even cook. They're poseurs. So, when I tell people that I really enjoy food, etc., and they ask, "So you're a foodie?" My response is, "No." I'm a "home cook."
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    Not only do they complain about your food and service, they also think they are woodworking experts as well. I will get several each year who know they are experts and don't mind voicing an opinion, even if it is wrong.

We joined the local SlowFood chapter a couple years ago. We attended a couple events, and almost everyone we talked with rarely cooked, and used the group mainly for eating get-togethers. One function was a 'snout to tail' that only had dishes made from shoulder/ butt and the belly; nothing north or south of there. Listening to some of the comments people made about the food was pretty disappointing. Most thought pork belly was pushing the envelope. As a whole they push for educating children on good eating habits, but the lack of food knowledge of the average event attendee was a surprise. and no one we talked to even had a veg garden.

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Likewise, I really only feel comfortable talking about things I have personal knowledge of (or personally researched and taken the time to learn), but like a number of members have pointed out, "foodies" who have just a little knowledge, think they have to right to spout off like they're experts. Kind of like people who watch Law & Order and think they know enough about the law to question what a real lawyer would do.

Personally, I don't even like using the word "foodie." Most "foodies" I know don't even cook. They're poseurs. So, when I tell people that I really enjoy food, etc., and they ask, "So you're a foodie?" My response is, "No." I'm a "home cook."

Couldn't agree more Michael! The anti-social media have given rise to a multitude of instant experts with bloated 'hero' personalities but matched with dismal and paltry skills, experience, taste and good ol' common sense. This is taken out of context but I'm reminded often by Zappa's "Your mouth is your religion . . . you put your faith in a hole like that!"

The other side of the coin when 'celebrity' chefs and restaurants get raves entirely on their reputation, gets up my nose too.

The transaction cost of communicating displeasure in this day and age is zero. It's unfortunate, but D-bag restaurant reviews will continue...until Salty's Star Chamber hunts enough of them down to make a difference that is.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    The transaction cost of communicating displeasure in this day and age is zero. It's unfortunate, but D-bag restaurant reviews will continue...until Salty's Star Chamber hunts enough of them down to make a difference that is.

k.
    First rule about Star Chamber: You don't talk about Star Chamber.