Foodies that post bad review and don't know what there talking about?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraeff

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

we were talking about this last night at work and i have seen it happen at every place i have worked at whether good or bad.

But the "foodie" customers that come in, judge all the food, ambiance etc, make judgments, then write a negative online review without ever mentioning a word while at the restaurant.

I mean i am all for people writing a bad review if you get bad service and if you get food that was overall not good, its when they go into detail like discrediting the chefs and recipes when they don't even have accurate information.

For example there was a review written for a restaurant i worked at about the truffle mac and cheese and how the sour cream is over powering and disgusting, there wasn't even sour cream in the recipe. I mean if they dont like it why not send it back? or simply put the mac and cheese was not very good or bland etc.

What do you guys think? Just curious as to what others opinions on this are? The consensus was the same as mine but we all work in the kitchen.

This really gets under my skin. There is a lady in charleston who trashes 90% of the places she eats in for one thing or another and she doesn't have a clue what she's talking about. Because she set up a fancy blog urbanspoon gave her the title of top food blogger in chucktown. I wish there was a website that let restaurants review foodies/bloggers/urbanspooning/yelpers

that seems to be the case in pretty much reviews of ANYTHING. pretentious people who don't actually know what they're talking about just jabbering on. i freaking hate foodies, they're so full of **** and have poor taste anyway.

Watch Real Actors Read Yelp Reviews, makes all those bad reviewers look like morons,lol.

We recently had on say their meal was ruiened by "our" trash out the window. It was garage day, and the trash was clearly our neighbors, as the only windows by seats look out across the street. This same guy reviewed the local Starbucks and said he wasn't going to go back because the barista had a visable tattoo.

We also had someone state in a review that they wouldn't be coming back because our bread is not vegan, but then later say that the only enjoyable part of the meal was the 5 spice crusted duck breast. Can't let it get to you, and just laugh about it.

The only people who actually complain during their meal here are people who know even less. Like our "spicy red curry chicken" is not real curry, or our chicken breast "tastes" like its not free range. I love food blogs, I read about a dozen regularly, but I think they also give some people an idea in their heads that they are gods gift to food or some crap like that.

Yelp is crap, and urbanspoon isn't that much better. Can't say to much bad about urbanspoon though, we are #6 in PA and #1 in Hanover, lol. But even then, our bad reviews are hilarious.

BTW, or chicken is free range, lol.

I think some people are negative and it just shows through in everything, including their reviews. But I think the foodies that give the worst reviews are people who think to be discerning is to be super critical, which is really missinformed.

It's pretty ironic that I, at times, hate reading blogs/reviews, because I gladly do the odd review and obviously post a lot on here. However, while I love food and I love that food's boundaries have been pushed, I can't help but think TV, the Internet and the ability to be read worldwide, even if you are uneducated on a topic has really made restaurants and food culture go a bit nuts. I don't need to eat chili threads or foams nor do I have to have a spiced cappuccino (I made that one up, but it makes sense when you think about food science). I miss regular old food, and I think a big part of why I like the chefs I do...celebrity or not. It's funny, I follow Graham Elliot on Instagram and find I love his non-food pictures and get irritated by his food pics. Meh, maybe I'm grumpy.

A real conversation I had after a shift while I was leaving with my knife kit.

Them: "Ooh look here's one of the chefs."

Them: "Excuse me, hi we just wanted to thank you for such a great meal."

Me: "Oh that's no problem at all it's our pleasure really."

T: "Everything was so wonderful really and you know our daughter is quite the foodie too!"

M: "Well I'm glad you enjoyed everything, that makes it all worth it for us."

Daughter: "Actually, I had a question about the scallops."

M: thinking "Oh boy here we go with the foodie ****."

D: "What was the thinking behind putting the scallops and the squash together? Don't you think putting two sweet items together is a bit much?"

M: "Well, the squash were sauteed with roasted tomatoes, eggplant, kalamata olives, capers and a bit of anchovy so it was almost like a deconstructed ratatouille puttanesca. I thought there was a good balance between acidity, sweetness, salty and savory."

D: "I don't know, just the thought of squash with scallops doesn't seem like a good idea to begin with. They're both just too sweet."

M: Realizing I can't win with the all knowing foodie "Well I'm sorry about that, I guess we can't win them all. I'll be sure to tell the Chef and I hope the next time you join us your meal will be more to your satisfaction."

D: "As long as you don't put the scallops with the squash anymore I think I'll be fine."

M: "Well have a great night and thanks for the feedback."

T: "Thank you so much! Five out of six ain't bad hahahaha"

**** you *****! Whoever invented the word foodie can go **** themselves too!

this is why i take pictures of the food and reserve comment... also, it helps that i just love food in general... not much to complain about for the most part ;)

I blame Iron Chef and Jeffery Stiengarten :biggrin:. I can't imagine why average people would try go give tips to people that cook for hours on end daily for hundreds of people. The usual problem I see with online reviews is lack of ingredient knowledge, and the unrealistic expectations that come with that.

We get it all the time at work. People have no idea of the ingredients contained in a dish and complain about this. Our osso bucco at work is pork shank and clearly states so...review said it was the worst veal he had ever had-i would hope so. My last job a person said that the roasted beat salad was too earthy....really? have you had a beet before?

**** you *****! Whoever invented the word foodie can go **** themselves too!

Couldn't agree more Rick. The audacity of some of these schmucks is unbelievable. But I guess that's what happens in a society where everybody is encouraged to believe that they're exceptional, unique individuals whose opinions really matter and deserve to be heard...by everyone.
I wonder if prostitutes have to deal with this crap in their industry? :scratchhead:

It's much, much easier in our society to acquire the pittance of knowledge necessary to destroy things than it is to work to obtain the depth of understanding necessary to create them. Ask the freshmen in college who are "empowered" by universities to critique their professors' grasp of their subjects.

At the end of the day, we'd all like to feel a semblance of control over our world--and in the world of Yelp and Twitter, that comes easier through vomiting our preferences at all and sundry than it does from actually creating anything.

I'm going to find some Scotch...

Couldn't agree more Rick. The audacity of some of these schmucks is unbelievable. But I guess that's what happens in a society where everybody is encouraged to believe that they're exceptional, unique individuals whose opinions really matter and deserve to be heard...by everyone.
I wonder if prostitutes have to deal with this crap in their industry? :scratchhead:

We are whores, remember!

We are whores, remember!

The trick is finding a position where you can be a high priced call girl rather than a crack whore.

If that girl comes in again, tell her she should wear her hair in a long ponytail so that you have a handle to use when you try to pull her head out of her butt.

That's alright. I had six people yesterday return the spicy vegetarian chili because they didn't know it was going to be spicy. It clearly says spicy vegetarian chili stewed with chipotle chilies. This is spicy! idiot New Yorkers. Like my cook says," its called chili for a reason and not chilly for a reason."

Its laughable how wrong people are. And how strongly they assert their wrong opinions.

Even worse I find are food critics. Its amazing how many things they get wrong. The place I work at now has had a few articles written recently, positive reviews, but their facts and descriptions are so off. And this is AFTER multiple fact checking emails and calls. It amazes me how people have no idea what they eat, especially when they are eating it for a living. Bunch of idiots

There are definitely review boards for prostitues. I have the feeling they deal with the same thing.

restaurant rated #1 - reviewer comments about their worst dish saying it's the best they've ever had talking about **** that's not even relevant to food quality.
restaurant rated #50 - reviewer comments about their best dish that everybody goes there for and says it's the worst theyve ever had because it's not rated high talking about aspects/flavor profiles that aren't even in the dish.

end of story.

Also, not all reviews are posted. If you have an established history of reviews you're more likely to have one published. Which just reinforces the douche bags ego. I don't read the crap but my daughter does.

We had a recent review where the dude gave us a thumbs down. Out of everything served to that four top he didn't like his T-bone. "he only liked half of the steak and didn't like the rest". Hello! Order the filet! Everything else was good. The kicker is one of the couples at the table were in again the next weekend? After reading the review we figured out who the server was, what night they were in and what table they sat at. Looked up their order, looked at the times each course was fired, checked credit card transaction (20% tip) and reservation. We know who they are. We try and track all of our reviewers.

Welcome to the democratization of the media. You no longer have to have any training as a writer or any expertise in the topics about which you write. The only requirements for entry: ego and a computer. :pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair:

I agree with everything being written, and I'm not a food pro. My only real professional food experience was retail seafood for a couple of years, but, during that time, I literally cut and sold tons of seafood. I got to cut, handle, sell, and, especially, eat some really amazing seafood, including a lot of sashimi grade stuff like Boston Bluefin, Washington Mirugai, Santa Barbara Uni, California Halibut and Albacore, as well as a ton of California King Salmon, Dungeness Crab, Ling Cod, Rock Cod, etc.

So, now, when I see a sushi bar review with crap like "my favorite is salmon", the fish "melts in your mouth", "I love the spicy mayo sauce", I just laugh. I think to myself, "You super douchey people have never gone fishing, gutted a fish, or even bothered to get your manicured fingers within anything remotely close to a whole fish, never gone to Japan or read anything serious about sushi, and probably will never cut a really nice piece of fish in your life. Shut up."

I used to Yelp to give props to my favorite restaurants. Now, I don't bother. I'd rather not have more people go to my favorite restaurants because they read my Yelp review and then give a middle of the road review because they don't know *** they're talking about. I don't want the ignorance of a reviewer to hurt the reputation of a restaurant I like.

Likewise, I really only feel comfortable talking about things I have personal knowledge of (or personally researched and taken the time to learn), but like a number of members have pointed out, "foodies" who have just a little knowledge, think they have to right to spout off like they're experts. Kind of like people who watch Law & Order and think they know enough about the law to question what a real lawyer would do.

Personally, I don't even like using the word "foodie." Most "foodies" I know don't even cook. They're poseurs. So, when I tell people that I really enjoy food, etc., and they ask, "So you're a foodie?" My response is, "No." I'm a "home cook."

Not only do they complain about your food and service, they also think they are woodworking experts as well. I will get several each year who know they are experts and don't mind voicing an opinion, even if it is wrong.

We joined the local SlowFood chapter a couple years ago. We attended a couple events, and almost everyone we talked with rarely cooked, and used the group mainly for eating get-togethers. One function was a 'snout to tail' that only had dishes made from shoulder/ butt and the belly; nothing north or south of there. Listening to some of the comments people made about the food was pretty disappointing. Most thought pork belly was pushing the envelope. As a whole they push for educating children on good eating habits, but the lack of food knowledge of the average event attendee was a surprise. and no one we talked to even had a veg garden.

Likewise, I really only feel comfortable talking about things I have personal knowledge of (or personally researched and taken the time to learn), but like a number of members have pointed out, "foodies" who have just a little knowledge, think they have to right to spout off like they're experts. Kind of like people who watch Law & Order and think they know enough about the law to question what a real lawyer would do.

Personally, I don't even like using the word "foodie." Most "foodies" I know don't even cook. They're poseurs. So, when I tell people that I really enjoy food, etc., and they ask, "So you're a foodie?" My response is, "No." I'm a "home cook."

Couldn't agree more Michael! The anti-social media have given rise to a multitude of instant experts with bloated 'hero' personalities but matched with dismal and paltry skills, experience, taste and good ol' common sense. This is taken out of context but I'm reminded often by Zappa's "Your mouth is your religion . . . you put your faith in a hole like that!"

The other side of the coin when 'celebrity' chefs and restaurants get raves entirely on their reputation, gets up my nose too.

The transaction cost of communicating displeasure in this day and age is zero. It's unfortunate, but D-bag restaurant reviews will continue...until Salty's Star Chamber hunts enough of them down to make a difference that is.

k.

The transaction cost of communicating displeasure in this day and age is zero. It's unfortunate, but D-bag restaurant reviews will continue...until Salty's Star Chamber hunts enough of them down to make a difference that is.

k.

First rule about Star Chamber: You don't talk about Star Chamber.

Back