Quantcast
Is it me, or can it possibly be the stone? (Poor results, Naniwa 1k/3k combo)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it me, or can it possibly be the stone? (Poor results, Naniwa 1k/3k combo)

Is it me, or can it possibly be the stone? (Poor results, Naniwa 1k/3k combo)

I've been using the entry level Naniwa 1k/3k combo stone since I've started sharpening. I set bevels with a worn DMT coarse if needed. I just haven't been able to get any form of a decent edge using this stone at all. It's slow cutting and very soft. I'm pretty sure there's no burr remaining; I can't feel it or see it with the loupe. I've tried hard pressures, moderate, and really light. Tried really acute angles to slightly more obtuse (maybe within a 10-20 degree range I've tried). Deburred drawing through wood, cork, stropping on the stone, on newspaper, leather.

This is the stone (tan/red):

I can manage push cutting paper, but nothing more than that. Can't even shave hairs. Any bite that I can get on an edge goes away pretty quick too, maybe even after one short cutting session (end grain board, etc).

Do I still have a burr on there? Wire edge?

I tried out the 1k/6k from Korin a little while ago and I had none of these issues. I was able to get an edge that could pass the 3 finger and thumbnail test easily - push cut paper, shave hairs, etc. Can't seem to do that no matter what I do with this Naniwa.

It sounds like the stone(s) may be wearing faster then they cut leading to edge rounding (convexing). If you wobble still then this might be the kick. Was the other stone combo you tried faster cutting and/or slow wearing?

The other stone was definitely harder and slower wearing. It cut much faster too. One thing I noticed with this Naniwa is it doesn't develop a slurry at all, and it just gets loaded right away (the black particles don't float in the slurry that would have been there, just gets embedded into the stone).

I think my wobble problems have improved a lot, so I'm not sure if that's the main factor. I do still have some wobble, but it's fairly minimal from what I can see and feel (if I'm judging correctly).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    If you wobble still then this might be the kick.

Need a faster stone.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

At one point I had almost the complete set of SS and had no problem. (1,3,5,8,12k).
    I found them to be sufficiently fast, very consistent, but soft (due to resin binding).
    But I have not used this particular combination stone.

I'm sure you've already done this before, but have you tried using sharpie and doing like 1 or 2 strokes to see where you are honing?

My first stone was a cheap one and it took a long session to get a usable edge. Have you tried going for longer periods of time? try flattening the stone before AND during the process.

I'll have to try all your suggestions, thanks.

If nothing works, I'll upgrade stones and see what happens (I've been meaning to anyways).

Is this a stainless knife?
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    I've been using the entry level Naniwa 1k/3k combo stone since I've started sharpening. I set bevels with a worn DMT coarse if needed. I just haven't been able to get any form of a decent edge using this stone at all.

Opinion ONly.....
    Z> wire edge is uncurled burr/fold which by this time shld be fatigued or at least the initial stage. Burr is the folded metal. I prefer cuttings strokes on stone to get rid of it as spine leading will only unfold and you really cant visibly see weak metal.

"I tried out the 1k/6k from Korin a little while ago and I had none of these issues. I was able to get an edge that could pass the 3 finger and thumbnail test easily - push cut paper, shave hairs, etc. Can't seem to do that no matter what I do with this Naniwa.
    Z> IF you have managed to get the same knife sharpened on this particular stone then it obviates your technique; unless the condition of the of the knife is not the same then.

The Red 1000Grit is muddy and soft whilst the Tan 3000 Grit is hard. This I believe is the " home stone"

Wobble> I mainly use shorter strokes most of the time for better control and use lower half and upper half of the stone with blade extending below/ upper portion of the stone so as to wear off the stone ends adn hopefully when I do the long strokes to even out any irregular portion of knife which is mainly used for finishing; and hopefully that will prevent stone stone from eneven wear

Remove enough metal and a burr will form, general characteristic of metal. IF no fold/ burr.. simply means that you have not removed sufficiently Yet.
    good luck
    rgds and hv a nice week-end.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    I've been using the entry level Naniwa 1k/3k combo stone since I've started sharpening. I set bevels with a worn DMT coarse if needed. I just haven't been able to get any form of a decent edge using this stone at all.

Opinion ONly.....
    Z> wire edge is uncurled burr/fold which by this time shld be fatigued or at least the initial stage. Burr is the folded metal. I prefer cuttings strokes on stone to get rid of it as spine leading will only unfold and you really cant visibly see weak metal.

"I tried out the 1k/6k from Korin a little while ago and I had none of these issues. I was able to get an edge that could pass the 3 finger and thumbnail test easily - push cut paper, shave hairs, etc. Can't seem to do that no matter what I do with this Naniwa.
    Z> IF you have managed to get the same knife sharpened on this particular stone then it obviates your technique; unless the condition of the of the knife is not the same then.

The Red 1000Grit is muddy and soft whilst the Tan 3000 Grit is hard. This I believe is the " home stone"

Wobble> I mainly use shorter strokes most of the time for better control and use lower half and upper half of the stone with blade extending below/ upper portion of the stone so as to wear off the stone ends adn hopefully when I do the long strokes to even out any irregular portion of knife which is mainly used for finishing; and hopefully that will prevent stone stone from eneven wear

Remove enough metal and a burr will form, general characteristic of metal. IF no fold/ burr.. simply means that you have not removed sufficiently Yet.
    good luck
    rgds and hv a nice week-end.

+ Reply to Thread