Just messing around

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Last night when cooking dinner I had a thought.
I needed to cut a handful of small stuff and didn't want to use the bigger cutting board.
Figured I needed a smaller light duty cutting board that I could clean easily and maybe use as a sandwich or cheese board.
I had a piece of thin maple so I just sanded and finished to 400 grit.
Future ones I might put a hole at one end so it could be hung up when not in use.

cb006_zps80a3fead.jpg

Mark, you are a genius!
I love the mini-board sandwichy thingy. I would totally buy one of theses. Oh and some utensils to match?
Nice.

this is just sick, having access to so much high quality woods.

Spending time cutting and sanding my mind starts to wander.
A few years ago I would have been unable to comprehend the thought of people collecting high end kitchen knives.
So I was thinking.....
What about spatulas?
I don't know of a single person with a good spatula collection.

I started another project.
A one piece cutting board. About 12 x 24.
Figured Bubinga.
cb002_zps798d7507.jpg

I have a lot of Bubinga in the basement. I think some of it may find it's way into a cutting board.

This is a piece of Bubinga that was marked as sold.
A guitar maker wanted it but never came back with the mooooola.
Now I am kind of glad he never came back.
The more I sand this the better the figure is looking.

cb003_zpsd19a8ac4.jpg

When I finish sanding and oil this it will be a lot darker. Kind of red and burgundy.

I have a lot of Bubinga in the basement. I think some of it may find it's way into a cutting board.
I think you should.
For a hard wood, Bubinga is not bad to work with.
Plus as it gets old and develops a patina the colors look even richer.

I decided against rounded edges and went with an angled edge like on an octagon wa handle.
The board is heavy so this gives an edge easy to get hols of the board to move it or flip it over.

cb006_zps73970364.jpg

That is totally awesome, so nice of you to make me a new cutting board :D Seriously, that is badass!!!

I finished sanding the Bubinga board.

cb001_zps4c880d21.jpg

Now the 1st coat of mineral oil.

cb004_zps538dea03.jpg

Very nice, Mark, I like bubinga. One of those woods where I am not sure whether to stabilize or not for handle work...

Stefan

Very nice, Mark, I like bubinga. One of those woods where I am not sure whether to stabilize or not for handle work...
Stefan

Bubinga is plenty tough and durable on it's own.
But.... it also takes stabilizing very well. So with handle material I only stabilize the very good figured pieces.

After several coats of mineral oil, now I am applying the board butter (oil/wax).

cb006_zps3bcd9737.jpg

That board looks very nice!! Bubinga is a bit hard for my taste though.

Back