Quantcast
career advice wanted and welcomed - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: career advice wanted and welcomed

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I'm glad you made a change.
    I hope it keeps you happy, that you can contribute and/or learn something every day. Keep us posted.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

I found myself in the same situation nearly. In a 16 restaurant corporate group and hating my job because I wasn't learning much and I feel nobody shares the same passion and desires to make good food as I do. They gave me a huge raise now an although the money is great, I see the people I did like in the restaurant all fleeing and I still am not happy.

At this point in time I'm 27 years old and feel like I NEED to travel to another city to find what I'm looking for in the culinary world but I find myself looking at a massive pay cut and it discourages me even more.

I want what you had in a three Michelin place. That is my dream.

Do I leave now? I'm only getting older. I don't want to put off my dreams for money. But the money is really good.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Me too brad.. I wish to broaden my experiences with great culinary minds but I'm working in a hotel with pretty good pay and amazing benefits. Roughly worth almost 75k a year. Do I take a 50% pay cut and work at a different job where I could be learning everyday or should I stick it out and hope to make management n say 5- 10 years and then change things around. Then.

Brad and kpeddie2010 I would recommend You doing stage if You are looking to learn from great chefs. There are some drawbacks aswell You will not get paid for it unless You convince your hotel or restaurant this a sort of training that it will ultimately benefit the company. But if You are a quick learner within a week You can learn a lot from that environment from cooking tecniques to the way thet run the line etc. I have done one stage for top 25 restaurant in the world and loved every second of it.It opened my vision , gave me great ideas and the list goes on. And i didn't had to sacrifice my pay other than using some unpaid leave and days in lieu . I have another stage lined up in a 3star restaurant in US too , looking forward for it

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post

NoChop probably has a better handle on their situation, I think he used to work for them.
    Yah, I worked there back in the day when the brother was in the kitchen daily. It was hot, and intense. I will say the one thing they drilled into my head was consistency. Every risotto was ala minute and tasted by the chef. They definitely weren't reinventing the wheel, though.

I left on good terms, and went back for a chef position years later; the big guy told me I was hired, but I had to agree to giving him 100% availability. No stipulations; no requests off; had to be available 24/7...I then talked to the current exec (who was just a line cook back when I was there) and he told me to expect to work 70 to 80 hours a week....needless to say, I went elsewhere.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Yah, I worked there back in the day when the brother was in the kitchen daily. It was hot, and intense. I will say the one thing they drilled into my head was consistency. Every risotto was ala minute and tasted by the chef. They definitely weren't reinventing the wheel, though.

I left on good terms, and went back for a chef position years later; the big guy told me I was hired, but I had to agree to giving him 100% availability. No stipulations; no requests off; had to be available 24/7...I then talked to the current exec (who was just a line cook back when I was there) and he told me to expect to work 70 to 80 hours a week....needless to say, I went elsewhere.
    Wow...never knew there were so many similarities as my situation...I actually found a new job and am starting it soon...but did not burn my bridges gave two weeks and I have been working at this "new" restaurant the longest in the kitchen besides the owner/head chef...I just never saw myself adavancing there nor did I want to work the line with a pompous chef are they all like that? like complete douchebags like I am not no young buck that just graduated culinary school I am 29 years old and trying to make a new living for myself don't talk to me like I am a piece of S*** or am retarded...Change is scary I know but all the hard work and hours I put in there I have to move on changes are a coming! and better pay lol...sorry for the rant had to get this out.....

+ Reply to Thread